Options

Wiring batteries, suggestions

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Generator Discussions
In working on my genny today I realized I had a separate genny battery. I always thought it was wired to my other starting battery but indeed it is not.  It relies on being charged from my generator when it runs rather than my pro mariner 3 bank charger. I'm debating on wiring it in parallel with the starter battery to increase my capacity on that bank. My worry is if I do that will it create an issue that both the pro mariner charger and the genny will be trying to charge that bank?  This is a 12v setup and it's a kohler 5e genny. 
I am not worried about not having a dedicated genny battery because I have two deep cycle house batteries on a switch; two starter batteries on a switch; and two separate group 31agms that I use for a bow thruster that I could use in a jam.  These thruster batteries use a separate charger too.  How do you guys run?
Post edited by mvn on

Comments

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    I would think it would have to thru an isolator if you did that 
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

Just curious why you would want extra capacity on your starting batteries? If you decide to run it in parallel then you'll have to isolate it as JC stated.  In essence, you would pretty much need to make the genny charger useless and always rely on the pro mariner.

Also, I've never heard of a genny that has a charger built into it.

Post edited by DanD2 on
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    My genny has a fuse next to its starter switch that says batt charger so I'm assuming it has a built in charger and I also suspect it may be on its own batt I have not investigated though they were moved from rear shelf to starboard side by previous owner he could have possibly changed wiring 
    2002 Rinker FV 342