Options

lots of play on steering wheel on a 212 Captiva

pjb155pjb155 Member Posts: 10
edited July 2015 in Rinker Support Q&A
Hi all,

i'm new to this forum having just recently bought a 1998/9 rinker 212 captiva bowrider in Belgium (Europe) with a 350 mercruiser (250hp). i don't know the type of sterndrive, probably alpha one. This boat is quite uncommon in western europe.

I didn't notice this during the test run (so it may be a new problem), but now there is about 90 degrees play (!) on the steering wheel, making it very difficult to go in a straight line at slow speed. I understand a bit of play is normal, but this is really massive and somewhat dangerous.

The connection between the steering wheel and the "actuator" behind the engine seems to be ok, as the steering wheel and the steering wheel shaft have no play in it. With even a small movement of the steering wheel i can see movement at the back of the boat. However when i look at the actuator when someone is moving the steering wheel, it seems like the actuator is moving "within" the bracket first before really pushing/pulling on the rudder. I'm not so familiar with boating mechanics so i don't even now whether this is cable or hydraulic. From the hoses attaching to the actuator i would guess this is a hydraulic system.

2 pics are below of the actuator which connects to the sterndrive rudder. the shiny piston behind it seems to be a shock absorber and is not powered (i think).

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

pj

Post edited by pjb155 on

Comments

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Check for a belt driven power steering pump on the engine which may be low on fluid.  There are cables from the steering wheel back into the engine compartment which are mechanically adjustable.
  • Options
    you mean there are cables and hydraulic lines between steering column and sterndrive rudder?
  • Options
    floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    no. the cables run to the control valve and the ram is what moves the lower end. the shiny thing is the ram and the dark thing is control valve that's where the cable from steering wheel goes. at the end of the ram it attaches to the steering lever, (top picture) where the pin goes into the lever, and you may have play there, where it is attached to the lower end, square shaft. watch for play there too, mine was loose and you'll need to get a wrench in there, not so easy, to tighten it up. there are SELOC manuals to help you out, good to have !
  • Options
    And when looking at the fluid level in your pump which looks just like the power steering pump on a car, if the fluid is very foamy there could be air in the system which can make the steering feel sluggish.  The air can be bled out by working the wheel back and forth from lock to lock slowly, 5 or 6 times, adding fluid if necessary.  Check with engine off, but warmed up to normal temp.  Fill to "hot" line on the dipstick if needed. 
  • Options
    thanks.

if i understand correctly: the cables go from steering to the control valve behind the engine. this moves the hydraulic ram (shiny part in my pictures) which powers the rudder movement.

I guess this will take the same kind of oil as a car hydraulic power steering system.

• Options
    back in 1988 Mercury recommended Dextron II automatic transmission fluid.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    i have checked the fluid levels, they were exactly as prescribed (hot / cold). there is play at the steering wheel side as well as at the rudder side. i've made this small clip to clarify while somebody was moving the steering wheel. hope it's clear what the problem is. is there any way to adjust the teleflex mechanism or hyrdaulic parts so that the play can be reduced? i've tried in many places to find accessible things but everything is closed up and hence risky to open.

thanks for your comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMqme9xhNGE
  • Options
    could i just replace the whole assembly with this? or should i investige the hydraulic section of the system

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/mechanical-steering/hps-rack-pinion-steering/
  • Options
    any ideas? i will probably replace the steering column & cable with a new rotary one from seastar
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from the video but it looks as the cylinder closes to the bottom the video has movement on the outside of the can. The inner piece should move not outside of cylinder than the inner
  • Options
    pinevuepinevue Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I have experienced this same issue in an 05 270.  My first out drive boat and it the play does seem excessive.  I also think the steering effort is excessive. I have changed the pump and bleed the system which did not change a thing. The cables to the wheel are tight and smooth.  It acts as though there is air in the system yet it as been bleed.  I have had a cruiser tech take a look, he said he didn't find any thing abnormal.  I feel this should work better, yet after 2 years haven't found a remedy yet.  Hope someone comes up with a viable solution, I'll monitor your post.
  • Options
    i also found it a bit strange that the inner cylinder is moving in the outside one. i initially thought this was the only problem but then there's also play on cable/pinion system. how is the cylinder arrangement normally fixed?
  • Options
    turning the moving piston with the flats vertical as indicated in the service manual helped already remove more than half of the play!

The remainder is in the cable system itself, so it will be a replacement after all to get it sorted as good as it can get with this type of hull
  • Options
    PauldanPauldan Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I have the same problem in my Atlantic 230 with Bravo III 350 Mag.  If fact I had the problem posted back in March 2015.  A had a lot of different suggestions I received but nothing like this. I will try your recommendation and see. thx.