Options

Windlass install 2000 FV 242

jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
I completed my install of a Lewmar pro sport 550 windlass on my 2000 FV 242. Removing the helm speaker and storage compartment gave me access to install the breaker and control switch, and run wires to the engine compartment using wire looms to prevent chaffing. Pulling out the battery switch made it easier to guide the wires to the batteries. Ran the wires to the windlass across the engine compartment and into the cabin by the water heater. From the aft cabin there is a carpeted cover held in place by several screws imbeded in the carpet. This is where the factory wires run. Removing the breaker panel in the cabin gave me access to run the wire through the galley cabinet. Drilling a hole through the forward wall of the galley cabinet under the backrest cushions and running a snake to pull the wires and loom between sink, stove and fridge. Running the wires along the port side under the backrest cushions using screw mounted tie wraps keeps the wires out of sight. The short section between  the front of the v-berth and the anchor locker bulkhead I used a piece of white bilge pump hose to hide the black and red 10 gauge wires. Reaching through the hole behind the mirror to secure the wires was the most difficult part. Mount windlass per instructions, checking for nav light wires when drilling/cutting the holes. 

Someone on this sight was asking about using a vertical windlass which I wasn't sure would have enough room for the rope/chain, but I believe it would work. If I had to do it again, I would try the V700. I have 15ft of chain, with 150ft of 8plait line.

Comments