Options

Rinker Quality In Question

EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
So in the process of working through all of the issues with my "new to me" 2005 262 Capteva, I removed the gauge panels from the dash and was amazed at how rough the cuts were in the base material.  Under the pretty wood grained covers is a very rough and jagged mess that looks like someone cut it out with a hammer and chisel.  Last week while my boat was in the shop getting the engine and outdrive removed to fix a leaking transom assembly, the shop owner sent me a picture showing how rough and jagged the transom penatration is.  He said it's the worst cutout he's ever seen.  It's so bad that the transom assembly seal will barely cover the jagged cut penetration and they had to go in with some gel coat material and build it up to ensure enough surface area to get good compression of the gasket.
What's up with Rinkers craftsmanship?  Do they not have templates and proper cutting tools to make a smooth and accurate cutout for dashboards and transom penetrations?

Sorry but I couldn't get the picture to link from Photobucket for some reason.
Post edited by Ezgoin on

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you the cuts in my panel are all smooth. If I remove the gauges or the switch panel a the helm, the gelcoat and fibreglass underneath are cutout in fairly straight smooth lines.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    Maybe Alswagg can weigh in.  On mine, the helm openings are hand-cut, but they are smooth.  I can't imagine they would use a hand-cut for a structural opening such as a transom cutout, but yours looks ugly.  
  • Options
    The link gives me an error.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Gotta paste the link without the [URL stuff.
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Does not for me either.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    I did try that before I posted the comment. The link does not work.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    i just recently replaced my dash panel with the switches on my 06' 250ec and the cut out was rough as well. i actually cut my hand a few times doing the install. so i  got a file out of my garage and smoothed the edges that were cutting me.  i was rather shocked to be honest.
  • Options
    Sorry about the pic!  Not sure why it won't show in the post!  The transom cut out isn't nearly as ragged as the helm gage housing.  It looks like a real chop job behind the covers.  Hard to imagine Rinker or any other manufacture would not have a better method for making cut-outs.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Maybe the previous owner did it. Maybe he had to "open it up" for some reason....

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I replaced the entire transom assembly in mine, over the winter, and the cutout was nice and smooth. 
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Maybe the previous owner did it. Maybe he had to "open it up" for some reason....

I guess anything is possible, but there's no indication as to why he would have.  No added gages or anything else.  If I can get a pic to post I'll try and post one.
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Maybe that one was built on a Monday after a long weekend or the Friday before lol 
  • Options
    Could be the result of a power outage, and they may have gone to manual cutting to get the job done. I don't think anyone can say that is Rinker standard.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    ...the new kid on the production line was just trying to learn how to use a router. He failed...

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    nhsd said:
    ...the new kid on the production line was just trying to learn how to use a router. He failed...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

• Options
    Chrisvr6Chrisvr6 Member Posts: 166 ✭✭
    So, where do rinkers rank on the quality scale? Same as Monterrey and chapparal or worse? 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I know rinker is a much better made boat than chapparal. I had a chap. I love my rinker
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I hope this thread doesn't turn into a brand bashing topic. All boats have there great points and weak points. Sometimes we have to accept things the way they are sometimes. Just saying.

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    pepmyster said:
    I hope this thread doesn't turn into a brand bashing topic. All boats have there great points and weak points. Sometimes we have to accept things the way they are sometimes. Just saying.
    Spot on no different than cars trucks and so on. We would all love to have everything we buy, built and done the way we want or would do it but that's just not being realistic. Everything we owned at one time or another we have all said what were they thinking or why did this. 
  • Options
    Right - every boatbuilder chooses a balance point between cost and quality.  I've owned Rinkers for 12 years because I like their balance point, i.e., a lot of boat for the money.

But here's what I'm wondering about @Ezgoin ... Does that transom cut fall within Rinker's established manufacturing tolerances?  If yes, then it's just an ugly piece of work.  If not, then it's a defect that Rinker should have addressed at the factory.  
  • Options
    I guess I better find a way to post the pics of the areas in question.  The helm dashboard area is not just a little rough on the edges, it's jagged and almost looks like the cutout areas were broken out in chunks rather than cut with a cutting tool.  The transom penetration isn't as bad, but is poorly cut to the point that the transom assembly and drive housing barely cover the hole.  The shop working on my boat had to build up the penetration to ensure they could get a good seal.  That's pretty bad.  The shop owner said its the worst transom cut he's seen.  His words not mine.
  • Options
    I would contact Rinker and show them the pictures. I don't think your situation is representative of the norm, and if the quality is that poor, than they should probably investigate this. In the end the only matter of interest is whether it performs. A jagged cut under a switch panel that is covered anyhow, is probably not a significant issue. A transom cutout that is leaking, well that's something.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    I've had 3 new Rinkers bought in '87 '92, and now 2014 and they seem to be improving in quality of workmanship and the materials used.  Some of the historically better brands seem to be slipping somewhat even though they cost so much more.  I've not had any issues but I guess every once in awhile some nube in a factory does a sloppy job and nobody catches it or chooses to correct it.
  • Options
    It would be worth talking to Rinker.  In terms of warranty, their legal responsibility ended when the original owner sold the boat, but they might be able to find a way to help you if it truly is a defect.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    It would be worth talking to Rinker.  In terms of warranty, their legal responsibility ended when the original owner sold the boat, but they might be able to find a way to help you if it truly is a defect.

The boat is ten years old, so I wouldn't have much hope of that, but it's a nice thought.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
     My dash panel cutouts are also  chopped out. Was surprised to see that  (FV310 2003)

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/