Options

Big Orange install

I just ordered a Big Orange filter and plan to install it this weekend assuming it arrives by then. Looking for guidance on the best way to attach the filter and where. I have an '08 320 and there is a decent amount of space next to the holding tank thankfully. I'm hesitant to screw it into the tank directly as I've seen others do. Just doesn't seem like a tank you want to put holes in! Thinking about affixing a piece of 1x8 wood to the side of the tank or perhaps to the side of hull (inside clearly) next to the tank using 4200 and then screwing the filter into the wood as opposed to the tank or the hull/fiberglass. Thoughts/recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Hi Walleye, When I bought mine also, they said to install it like they said on the top side of the tank and screw in . Di that, but when I screwed it in , I put some silicone where the screws we going in. There will be no problem at all. Ever install I've seen was done this way. No worries!

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also just screwed it into the top of the tank and sealed the holes. Been 3 years no problems.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    If there were any problems Marc, I sure the neighbors would let you know!!!!!!

• Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Installed mine last Friday. Was reluctant to attach to the tank but did anyway.  Drilled holes, nice glob of silicone on each hole.  Screwed to tank.  All went perfect.  No smells over the weekend.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    For sure pep. It's bad enough that even the original depositor would complain . Lol

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Mine is installed and wire-tied in place. I would not screw anything into the tank. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    same as most above.  I used some silicone and screwed directly to the tank.  been 2 months and no issues?  I am sure using 4200 and a  block of wood also would work just fine.
    you will be glad to did it, regardless of which method you choose.... 
  • Options
    Great product....... helps making friends also!

• Options
    walleyewalleye Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I installed yesterday and it was a breeze. I'm confused though by the bypass valve that is supposed to prevent tank collapse during pump out. Do I need to do anything prior to pump out to engage the bypass valve? Or does it work on its own?
  • Options
    It works on it's own. When it senses too much vacuum it opens. It's a mechanical valve. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"