Options

2002 Rinker 342 Trim Tab size

Irocz18Irocz18 Member Posts: 5
Hi Guys,

I broke a tab on my boat this past weekend, and need to buy new tabs. Was thinking of upgrading to the hydrolic system. What size tabs do I need for the 342??

Comments

• Options
    CamewithslipCamewithslip Member Posts: 2
    I have read that you should have one inch in width for every foot of boat. For you, that would call for the ball park of 34 inches. Not total. Each side. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is Bennett’s rule of thumb but is just not realistic. Almost never do you see that. I would shoot for 12 x 18 on a 342 but I think oem was 12 x 12 which worked just fine on my 342. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    What size are your present tabs, if they worked well use that size if not increase the size.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nowhere near 34” available on a 342 for tabs.  Heck I don’t see them that big on larger boats.  I can measure mine on Sat if you want.  Be an expensive upgrade to hyd actuators, plus the rewiring.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    As I said in the other thread:  Use weight balance to adjust the boat's running attitude.  Tabs are for getting on plane, and then making small adjustments.  You don't need huge 34" dual-actuator tabs for that.  Experience says 18"x12" is plenty.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    For example:  when I bought my 370, she wanted the tabs down about 20% at normal cruise speeds.  I added 60' of 3/8" chain (about 80 pounds) to the anchor rode, and it made a HUGE difference.  Now I barely need any tabs when cruising, and she pops up on plane a lot faster.  

I can't imagine needing 40" tabs on this boat, except as a way to make more money selling dual-actuator tab systems.  
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I added 150# of lead to my anchor locker. Made a huge difference.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI