Options

Desalination unit.

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does any one have any experience with a small desalination unit on a boat?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your big limit will be the gal/day it can make. Plus the membrane/filter costs. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Yeah I was thinking if I was on the hook for longer than my tank would last. A small unit perhaps
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get manual ones too.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Your big limit will be the gal/day it can make. Plus the membrane/filter costs. 
    Agreed, Handy how long can you go on your fresh water tank? As BD said what one of those can make a day (depending on the room you have) by the time it makes enough you may be close to another port by than. Great idea by all means, but I would think unless you're  planning a 30 day ocean voyage hard to justify.   
  • Options
    Well, 2 showers a day, how long would the tank last? 
  • Options
    Depends on how you shower. I know we average around 3-4 gallon a day. That is wet down turn off water soap shampoo than rinse. you can bathe in Ocean and do fresh water rinse off to help with water usage. Course how are you doing dishes and what are you doing for drinking water also plays a part. Lot's of tricks to save water though.   
  • Options
    yeah you could stretch it out I guess
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handymans - first shower is a dip in the ocean. Second shower is a rinse off.  Thing is if you really want to save water, don't keep the shower running. Wet, shut off and soap down, rinse.  Keeping the shower running while you soap down, probably increases consumption by 4 or 5 times.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark B, I knew that its the wife that worries me. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh that's easy to fix. Pop the fuse to the galley pump, and tell her you have a technical problem.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    She knows how to use a VOM.
  • Options
    Guess you will have to skip your shower handy lol 
  • Options
    Man, cant even imagine going one day without JC especially with all this meat.  :)
  • Options
    i here ya buddy, might teach the Admiral to take shorter showers though LOL 
  • Options
    Actually maybe its more efficient to take one together? 
  • Options
    Lmao too funny Al
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Hey, we just came back from 4 days/3nights on the hook, 4 of us on the boat, two ice makers going (most important part).  Got back to our marina yesterday with still more than a half tank of water.  We all took a nice long hot shower and emptied the rest.  Believe it or not, there was an average of 3 showers per day (somebody missed it each day).  We did use a bit more paper plates this time than we usually do, but it made things much easier for the long weekend.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and a lot depends on what boat! No way two can take a shower on a 270.....my tank I believe is 20 or 25 gallons....so far we have not had any water issues, we do not drink from it but we have yet to stay "on the hook" as we usually just pull into a marina anyway.....if I can ever get the rest of my enclosure I think I will have a better shot and getting the admiral to go along with it....not enough real estate on the boat with out that closed in. I have the front half complete but lacking the rear top and sides...
  • Options
    What size is your tank Dream?