Options

Boat lift vs. bottom paint

JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
So I'm at a cross-roads (or more appropriately a fork in the river I guess).

I've got a 2013 28' cuddy that has never had bottom paint. I get in the water about once a month and scrub the bottom, and then have to power wash/acid wash the bottom in the fall. Its not THAT bad, but it gets tiresome about this time of the season. I know eventually I'll probably get some blisters doing it this way, so I'd rather prevent that.

I have fought bottom paint because its still technically trailer-able, and I just don't like how it looks. I HOPE to be able to buy a lakefront house in the next 3-5 years, but as we all know how the best laid plans sometimes work.

I keep it at a marina with floating docks, so I could probably get some sort of non-view obstructing lift for it. I plan on keeping it there until when/if I get lakefront property. I have no desire to trailer it.

Cost is obviously a concern, and I'm guessing a professional sandblast/barrier/paint job will be $2500-$4k. Lift costs seem to be all over the place, from $3k used all the way to to $10k+.

I just wonder if there's anyone on here that's had to make this same decision, and what route they went.
2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

Comments

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    when you buy a lake house you leaving it in the water or would you move the lift? I prefer bottom paint. If it is only the look of the paint you can use white bottom paint until you get up close you really can't tell it's painted. If you wanted to save money you could have the bottom prepped and paint your self or do it all your self it's a little labor intense, but it can be done. There are guys down by me that I bet are cheaper than your neighbor hood. I can get you some numbers if you decide to paint. Just let me know.  
  • Options
    proffsionlproffsionl Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I went through the same analysis for our 350EC.  Bottom paint runs me $2500 every five years or so, a Hydrohoist (what is used in all of our marinas here) was $17K.  Pretty easy math for me...bottom paint, it is!  :smile: 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proff, why $2500 every 5 years. My bottom is 4 seasons old now and it looks like new. Firstly, we prepared properly (sand blast) and applied good products (4 coats interprotect, and 2 coats micron csc). At the end of each season, I get my tech to touch up the micron csc. It takes less than an hour, and most of the touch ups have to do with damage done during the haul out. It costs me about $150 to do.

My bottom literally looks like the day I put the paint system on - it's brand new. I don't expect to have to ever redo my bottom, as long as it's maintained each year, which is a minimal cost.

Joe, the only the about a lift, is you can get your drive out of the water as well. This helps corrosion (although I have read the bellows can get dried out when out of water, but I have no experience with this).  Also if you ever need to do some work on the stern, you have access to the boat.

I'm not sure if you get a lift at your marina you will be able to transfer it to your waterfront home (dimensions, accessibility).

If your going to eventually get rid of the boat, maybe just keep doing what you're doing for the next 2 or 3 years. If you're going to take your boat to your new waterfront home, then I would probably bottom paint it and skip the lift.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    proffsionlproffsionl Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    My hull also gets sandblasted before the paint goes on.  We're in very brackish freshwater and everyone here uses ablative paint (I get three coats every five years).  In Lake Travis (Austin, TX), it's just the way it's done, I guess!  All of the local shops charge about the same around here.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm leaning towards really searching hard for a lift that will work at the marina for the foreseeable future, and also work good when/if I get a waterfront home.

It limits the type of lift I can buy right now, but I guess I can always sell the lift later and get something that works better at the house.

I need to speak with the marina, but its MAYBE possible that I could leave the lift in the water through the winter, as the marina is bubbled to prevent any theft issues in the winter.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Another minor quibble with paint is my water line. The bottom is white like most boats, but the water line goes over the painted black gel coat quite a bit at the stern. So if I painted it white, I wonder if it'd look stupid against/over the black paint.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe your bottom paint should go above the water line.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I know, thats why I'm not sure if white or black would look better. You can see how much of the painted hull is close or below the waterline.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I'm with Al, get a lift.  I've been on a lift for the last 11 years, 7 years of wet slip before that.  It really ends up breaking even after a while.  You save on zincs, more maintenance you can do on your own (I change my gear lube, winterize and store thru winter all on lift).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express