Options

Starboard Engine doesnt sound right

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
2004 342,with Merc 350 Horizons. Boat ran fine last weekend, belt was squeeling quite a bit but otherwise ran well. Started it up today and starboard engine doesn't sound right, there is a clunking sound is the best way I can describe it. Checked oil, looks fine. Any other things I can check before calling a mechanic?

Comments

• Options
    What does bad fuel sound like? Just realized I never put additive in starboard tank... Both engines are knocking but starboard is worse so my theory may make sense
  • Options
    Thanks guys. One more thing, the noise doesn't happen right away, takes 30 secs to a minute for it to happen. One more thing, it was only happenning with drives all the way up, lower them even half way and the noise dissapears!?!? Any ideas?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A squealing belt means it is slipping. I would check all the belt driven components with the belt off for free spinning. A bad bearing will do that. Idler pulleys especially. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure you shouldn't run the engines with the drives all the way up, you are stressing the universal joints. It could also be a bad gimbal bearing.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buggyjdav said:
    Thanks guys. One more thing, the noise doesn't happen right away, takes 30 secs to a minute for it to happen. One more thing, it was only happenning with drives all the way up, lower them even half way and the noise dissapears!?!? Any ideas?

What do you mean by drives all the way up?  Even if you are tilting them up to the max operating level, you could be cavitating the drives. But you would have noticed a big change in boat performance if you did that.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"