Options

Access to Hull 270 vista vee

lionelzlionelz Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Rinker Support Q&A
Hi there after some help.  I own a 2004 rinker 270 vista vee (I love the boat)  I was on it this weekend (we did not go out) and noticed after the first night that there was a wet patch on the carpet in the cabin.  We removed the top carpet to see that the under carpet was soaked.  It was just at the bottom of the steps.  all the carpet around the outside was dry it was just the centre section about a 2ft long 1ft wide.  I tried to look underneath it but am having no luck.  I have lifted the covers under both beds (V berth and under the helm position and cannot see to where I want to).  The carpet appears permanatley fixed so was unable to lift them, is there any other access points to look underneath.  I am also trying to find where the leak is, do the water pipes run under this section to the toilet and shower?

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 260 EC. On my boat the water pipes DO NOT run under this section. It is too low.  The shower drains to a sump which is located under my mattress in the mid-berth (check yours as well).

There's almost always 2 reasons for wet carpet in that area. (1) the mid-berth bilge or shower sump is not working and it is overflowing or (2) rain is entering in via the windshield or canvas onto the cabin slide door and leaking inside.

I would start by checking your shower sump and mid berth bilge.

Was it raining by any chance, or did you wash the boat before you got in and saw it wet?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I was getting a lot of water in my mid berth bilge area. It turned out my anchor locker drain was clogged. The box would fill up and water would then come though were the anchor rode is stored. 
  • Options
    Thanks for this,  I have to say it did rain a few days before we got there but the undercarpet was wetter than the top carpet.  How do I get access to that area to check for the sump, I have checked under the hatch under the mid cabin bunk but cannot see much there (I can see the pump). There is little or no water, we have also not used the shower at all, only the sink and toilet.  Maybe it is from the cabin door as you said and we just did not notice it before as we had shoes on and that it has soaked through the top carpet and then sat between the carpet and hull.  Are there any remedies?
  • Options
    Do you see a bilge pump inside a plexiglass box? That is the shower sump. Can you see the through hull (valve through the hull to pick up raw water) for the head (toilet)?  If that entire area is dry, than it is likely not the water lines.

The top carpet would be dryer because it is exposed to dry air. The bottom carpet would be wet because the top carpet is keeping the moisture sealed in that carpet.  You can test this theory by spraying water via a hose over the windshield and front canvas connector. 

The remedy is to find out where the leak is and fix it. Really. Sometimes something needs to be screwed tighter, sometimes a seal needs to be replaced, sometimes the canvas needs to be adjusted. Find the leak and you will figure it out.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark B thanks for that yes I could see the clear box which I presume was the sump and pump.  I am not at the boat now and am back down next week.  I will try to get my head in there to see if I can see up the hull, if not maybe a mirror to view up it with a torch.  Having said all this if I can see a leak, how could I get access to it?

Parts man

I will check the Locker, and see if thats it, it just appeas strange that I cannot see into the hull from the centre
  • Options
    The through hull fitting for the head feed water is right next to the shower sump. You might also have an air conditioner through hull as well, right next to it.  If that whole area is dry, you are good. If it is leaking, find out where. Sometimes it's just a loose clamp or a water strainer that has a poorly seated gasket/o ring.  If the fitting itself is leaking, you will have to pull the boat and get someone who knows what their doing to look at it.  If you didn't see any water around the sump, I'm pretty confident you don't have an issue. 

If it was a continuous leak, the top carpet would also be wet.  I suspect rain had to do with it, and the top carpet has had some time to dry a bit, while the bottom carpet has not.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    You can see the hull if you want to take the floor out. 
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Sorry meant to comment earlier leak sorted it was as suggested a loose connection in the heads to the sink tap.  How on earth that leads to a wet patch in the carpet in the saloon is beyond me but it is
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lionelz way to go! BTW, you will not find this unusual in a boat - frustrating - but not at all weird. Water has a habit of running along channels and coming out in places away from where it entered. As others have suggested, after you check water connections to taps, toilets, ice makers, HVAC units etc. then start using a hose up high on your exterior deck and working your way down past the windshield, the rub rail, the windows (portals) etc. Sooner or later the culprit emerges!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having the same issue- did you use the shower? We were at a marina recently and used the shower which we seldom do. Looking at the construction of the shower, it looks like the door and the "front" are one piece and along the bottom edge there would be potential for leak. I have not really had any issues with rain and leaking and pretty much traced water in my bliege to the A/C system as there are drains for it that go right to the back of the boat. I'm thinking I have lost a seal where those surfaces contact in the shower and that is soaking the carpet right in front of it. I don't recall that being wet otherwise...but I'm still looking into that!
  • Options
    I have never used my shower in the boat only when I tested it on purchase.  It was just the connection under the sink gained access by taking the cabinet out
  • Options
    and after reading your post, I will check the same- it's right there in front of the shower/end of the steps coming down in my 270....good find!
  • Options
    Exactly where my issue was.  Let me know if that sorts it out.  Now noticed that my water pump only comes on now when the tap is used.  Even if boat has not been used in sometime the pressure remains 
  • Options
    Mine does seem to hold pressure ok so I'm guessing that is not my issue. My galley sink has a slight drip so will occasionally hear the pump cycle when the water is not "on". I will monitor but seems a problem with the shower- heck, maybe it was just our wet butts that got the floor wet and I'm worrying about nuttin!
  • Options
    Has your issue now been sorted?  Do you now have a dry carpet
  • Options

Has not really been as issue since - maybe just to wet coming out of the shower is all...we don't use it much but it is handy sometimes!

• Options
    russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
    This happened to me last year and it took ages to track it down! Turned out to be a leaking port window seal. Had it took out and re sealed. The rain water was running down the bow and with capillary reaction finding its way into the window and down into the skin of the boat then into the floor soaking the carpets. Could be a poss on yours? Worth checking.