Options

Can you step on the cabin door?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
05/270 and my door track seems to be binding-My grand daughter may have stepped on it a few times coming off up front-perhaps while not being latched. That latch looks pretty tuff- is that door strong enough to step on as you walk through the front glass? I am thinking it was partially open and that has what has bent something in the lower track....

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    I will assume then that is what bent the track, dang kids....
  • Options
    uh, my little sweetee rolls in about 200 lbs. so I was concerned!
  • Options
    I would think latched it would be pretty solid-open I'd think would be an issue. That bottom track is binding so it came from somewhere and I know she was stepping on it and at the marina it might not have been close all the way....so, I'm guessing,,,, 
  • Options

342 must be a heavier duty door....

• Options
    good idea Andy...
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every once in a while we step on the door in our 242. It seems very sturdy when we do.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you? Those doors are like ice. 
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I make sure the cabin door is closed when climbing up or down to prevent accidently falling into the cabin, but do not intentionaly step on the door.
  • Options
    Dan4754Dan4754 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Ummmmmm. ...my 250 has steps molded right next to the opening. I think it would be difficult to step on the door.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I saw a Larsen 260 that had the steps molded into the cabin door. The thought "recipe for trouble" came to my mind.
    Andy
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never step on that "acrylic" door unless it is an emergency. They were never designed for that. I don't even like people leaning on the door. BTW Kudos to Jhofmann for closing the door when anyone is using the walk through as that is real smart. Its a big fall down into the cabin. Also when underway and the door is open use the flip latch on the floor to stop the door from banging. The "acrylic" doors are great but are prone to cracking if stepped on or slammed shut. The roller units properly referred to as "trucks" can be adjusted with a little work - to really improve the travel of the door. if you do that you may also have to alter the position of the latch the  door closes onto as well. I did this with my last two Rinkers and improved the travel a lot. In fact on my 360 I removed the leading truck as it was holding up the starboard side of the door too high and causing it to bind. I shaved about 1/8" off the black plastic piece which allowed me to drop the door, then I installed the two screws to affix the truck. It moves so well now that I had to put a small note on the door to remind guests to close it slowly. BTW I saw a re-manufactured " McGuyver" door the other day on a Rinker. The guy said his "acrylic door had shattered. He had a piece of 1/8" aluminum formed and them powder coated. He used the oem trucks. He said the whole thing cost him $500. Not cheap, but a lot less that a new "acrylic" door - if you can find one. He did say removing the helm section was not fun but did it in about four hours with a friend's help.
  • Options
    That's kind of my thought Mike....I also have been trying to adjust my door and what I am finding is that the floor that the track is mounted on is not flat-as it tapers for water to run off I suppose- but the top track is flat. I noticed when I purchased the boat the screws in the bottom tracked appeared loose- when I snugged them up, the door was a bear to close. So, I assume the screws are to hold it in place but not hold it down-I backed the screws off a bit and now the door works fine.....not flying open but I don't think I want it to do that anyway......