Options

Why I love the hardtop

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
The hardtop was the main reason we got the 370, but now I love it for reasons I never expected.

On my previous boat with a radar arch and bimini, the canvas and cockpit cover had so many openings that the cockpit carpets would get wet every time it rained.  I always had to stow the carpets below, which was a PITA.  I hoped that problem would go away with the hardtop, and I was right.  

A few things I didn't realize:

The hardtop does a much better job keeping heat out of the cockpit.  Canvas provides shade, but a lot of the solar heat comes right through it.  

The cockpit stereo sounds amazing!  At listening volumes, the sweet spot is in the center of the transom bench, but it sounds good almost anywhere in the cockpit.  It's not half-bad at club volumes either.  

Oh, and then there's the stripper pole.  Bonus.

Of course, everything comes with a price.  The hardtop is heavy, so it hurts fuel economy and reduces stability.  It doesn't have enough hand-holds.  And it definitely reduces the thickness of your wallet when you buy one.  Still, I'm a believer.  

Comments

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I love the hardtop, looks awesome.  Can one be added to a 270?  Did you add yours or is it standard?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Sorry I do not like them. I like being able to roll up the canvas and be wide open or leave the canvas up and be "inside". I love the way my 342 looks without the canvas. Can not get that look with a hard top...... Just my opinion.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiaras have hard tops
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Handy your not going to believe this but I am not a big fan of Tiaras either. I find the cabins very small with no head room. Great hulls no doubt but IMO cabin lay out stink...... Plus $$$$$$$$$$$
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    True, Raybo -- no open-sky boating or go-fast looks for me.  Of course, I only went top-down once in the ten years I had the 342, so I guess I don't miss it.   

I think the reason you don't see fiberglass hardtops on smaller boats is probably stability.  It's so much weight, and so high up ... I doubt there's any way to add one to a 270.  @Rinker312 built one for his 312.  Maybe he'll chime in.

Oh, I forgot another benefit of the hardtop.  You can't do a massive cannonball dive from the top of a canvas bimini.  
  • Options
    Now that's dedication.  (And a really funny auto-correct!)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Was just talking about hard-tops over the weekend.  Absolutely love them.  They make the entire cockpit area liveable.  It doesn't matter if it is raining, hot, cold...it is just like the cabin.  In the evenings I can put up isinglass and cool it off if we'd like.  & as far as sitting back and looking at the stars, I can do that on the bow or the large seating on the stern or the seating on the platform.  I'd have it no other way.  I actually enjoy sitting in the cockpit area during hard rain storms!

& best of all, I put a 7 foot tall Christmas tree on mine this past weekend!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    I like them, wish I had one on my boat.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Nothing like the hardtop !!!!!   if I want open air, I take off the back canvas, if its raining I close it up and its like being at home in my living room.  Best of both worlds in one package. When its blistering hot out, I have ALL the shade (with a cross breeze).   BUT.....Its a matter of opinion, no one is right and no one is wrong, it's what you like !
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a rertofit?
  • Options
    I doubt a retrofit would be cost-effective.  Unless, maybe salvage a hardtop from a hurricane boat destined for the chopper ... but it would be a big job.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, hard tops are great. If I had one, I'd probably put strata glass around the sides and front.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The strata glass is unbelievably clear (I have it) You do have to be careful to use a soft cloth and gentle cleaner to avoid scratching it. As well I had a custom center piece of "regular" clear "vinyl" made for the windshield walk through as that piece of Strata glass is hard to move to get through the walk through. I did see a neat fix for that where the guy mounted two snaps on the underside of his hard top and just swung that piece of Strata glass up and snapped it to the hardtop.