Options

windlass tension bar not grabbing?

duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
i have an '06 250 ec and the windlass doesn't seem to want to pull up the anchor. while my nephew worked the button, i  pushed on the tension bar and it pulled it up. it will grab the chain and hold the anchor tight once in position, but doesn't want to pull on the rope. can i rewind the existing spring? is there a replacement spring? i have not taken it apart yet but i do see what seems to be a spring set screw on the bottom of the bar. thanks

Comments

• Options
    PauldanPauldan Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I believe the side spool will adjust inward or outward when you turn it. It may be adjustable either way. may have to get at it from inside the cabin at bow looking at your picture. 
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Is the nut on the windless lose? I have to tighten mine about once a year.
  • Options
    PartsMan said:
    Is the nut on the windless lose? I have to tighten mine about once a year.
    if your referring to the nut on the side that you use a half inch drive ratchet to tighten, it is tight. if i push on the top of the tension bar while someone works the switch, it will bring up the anchor. just seems like there isn't enough tension on the bar.
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    If your windlass is a lewmar there is a spring
     lewmar   Anc095C Lewmar V-Series Control Arm Kit Lewmar V-Series Control Arm Kit 
    Item # : 001662 
    Control Arm Replacement Kit for V2 and V3 Windlasses 
    Includes Control Arm, Control Arm Pivot and Torsion Spring 
    Also Includes Hex Key, Service Grease and Washer 
    Brand: Lewmar 
    Model Number: 66810030
     Lewmar V-Series Control Arm Kit Features: Control arm replacement kit for V2 and V3 windlasses Kit includes: Control arm Control arm pivot Torsion spring Hex key Service grease Washer Specifications: LewList Price: $84.40
    Our Price: $61.45 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you need a new rode
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    thanks frenchship. 
    Handy, the rope is actually pretty solid. It's really dirty from about 3" of muck and dirt that was in the bottom of the rope locker. With that said, There is only 100' of rope and I am probably upgrading to a 150'. Is it normal to have 30' of chain? I was amazed at how much chain came out. 
    Post edited by duane.mosley on
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Make sure that your anchor locker is deep enough for the 150' rope+ chain. Otherwise it could pile up and jam your windlass.
  • Options
    I will clean everything and put it back to see what kind of room I have.