Options

2004 FV 250 - Trim tab control box location??

I just picked up my boat from the yard, and find that the port tab is not functioning.  I have read that there is a control box somewhere, but I have no idea where. 

Anybody have any helpfull troubleshooting advice and can tell me where the controller is?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have the lenco electric tabs? Unless someone upgraded you with the controller, there is not one. Just the wiring to the switches. Likely you just fried the actuator.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    amajamaramajamar Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Yes, the Lenco tabs.  With the Led indicators on each side.  So, no controller?  How would I trouble shoot?  Power directly to the connection?
  • Options
    Ah OK, you did get upgraded.  The controller should be close to the switches, it is a small black box.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    It'll be a black box located behind your dash gauge or switch panel - most likely the switch panel. Troubleshooting - once you find the black box ( trace the wires coming from the LED control switch) you'll see two other wires with disconnects coming out. Try reversing the leads and see if your non-functioning tab works. If the tab works, your brain box has a problem If the tab does not work, it's the tab ram. Also be aware that the control switch controls the opposite side tab - port switch controls starboard tab, starboard switch controls port tab. You may want to talk to Lenco directly for assistance in troubleshooting.
  • Options

So I take it that I just remove all the screws on the face of the switch panel and lift it straight up?  The controller will be down there somewhere?

• Options
    Yes, just unscrew the switch panel. It will just pull out.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    holscher2438holscher2438 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I have the same Rinker and the same issue with my port trim tab.  The rep from Lenco said to put power directly to the actuator to see if it works. Then to try the paperclip test.  My control box is buried in the dash so I still have to try the paperclip test.
    Y Knot?
  • Options

When I talked to the rep, he told me that if I couldn't find the splice at about 6' (which could mean that it was installed at the factory with much longer leads) to cut the wire a apply power directly to the cable.  If not movement at the tab, the actuator is bad. 

Mine was bad and I have replaced.  It sounds much better than the starboard tab now!  I pulled the radio out and the controller is sitting in just behind there.

• Options
    wlavistawlavista Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2005 FV250 and it looks my controller is no good.  Swapping leads tells me it's not the actuators. No connectors on mine but they are the replacements so it's a splicing I go!  Wish me luck to get that right!  Every time I take the boat out, something breaks.  Its always B.O.A.T. from my bank account!