Brass Drain Plug

Do you all just screw the drain plug in by itself or use Teflon tape, grease etc...?
2012 Rinker BR216 5.0

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use pipe dope. Works better for the metal fitting and the NPT threads.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • KYSEANKYSEAN Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    Are you using pipe dope as a lubricant or sealant? I always thought the dope would be used for craft stored in water over winter. I ask only because my new boat uses a brass plug and previous boats used the rubber type plugs. I've got little knowledge of using the brass plugs. thanks, Sean
    2012 Rinker BR216 5.0
    The pipe dope is the sealant. You don't need a lubricant with brass like you do with plastic. It stays flexible, so it's not a mess to deal with. Are you trailering or in the water?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Trailering. I would most likely remove mine when it comes out of the water each time.
    2012 Rinker BR216 5.0
    Probably not a big deal trailering. Pipe dope is quick, a small dab around the threads will do it.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    It would be OK for me to use nothing but the Brass plug then?
    2012 Rinker BR216 5.0
    For just day type trips, should be fine. Just make sure it is in snug!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Thanks. Hand tight and a 1/4 turn is what I've heard. Is that correct? Thanks again, Sean
    2012 Rinker BR216 5.0

Some info for you on this:Leakage path through NPT threads shown at red points. No matter how tight you make NPT threads, a leakage path still exists. It is the function of the sealant to block the path between the male and female thread.

NPT thread  leakage path through threads

You can go by NPT specifications, but that's probably over doing it as they are for installations to be static.  Those call for about 2 turns after snug.  If you have it 'tight' with a wrench, you are probably OK.  Remember these are tapered threads, and if you do not draw them together well enough, it will rapidly loosen.  Beware if you do decide to use teflon tape, the friction is greatly reduced and can allow you to over torque and damage threads.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Good info to know. thanks so much. Sean
    2012 Rinker BR216 5.0
  • Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Excellent advice, you guys.