Options

Boat in need of Identity

OrangeCrushOrangeCrush Member Posts: 1
I am in desperate need of some information. 2 years ago I bought this boat off of craigslist. I did not know a thing about a boat and was told stories about when my dad was young that he had a blast for 3 summers with a boat that cost him $75.00! Well I found this old (what I believe to be) fiberglass 1975 17’ Rinkerbuilt Deep V, inboard/outboard, closed bow. It has the original 1974 3.0L GM Mercruiser 140 engine. The odd thing was that the title did not have a Model outline on it. After some lower unit repairs the boat ran great (mind you I never touched a boat/driven a boat until the day we backed her into the lake). 
To make a long story short, the transom and front motor mount were the consistency of pudding in some areas. I received a quote of $2,500.00 to complete the repairs, and that was if I pulled and reinstalled the engine myself. So being a relatively poor college student I embarked on a journey to repair and slowly restore the boat to its structural integrity of factory. After some legal disputes and a hefty refund from the first mechanic that told me my transom was solid, I took that money and bought fiberglass matt (1708) and bulk resin and I was off. 
I completely replaced the transom with marine grade plywood, as well as the motor mount, as well as the floor of the boat (because why not, even though it was solid). The stringers were in perfect condition. I did replace the bow eye wood and reinforced it from within. I put new carpet and the (what I believe to be) the original interior. I replaced the 140’s head gasket (it was blown between cylinders 2 & 3) and gave her a paint job. Fixed the crack in the exhaust manifold and bought and installed a rebuilt carburetor, replaced all of the U-joints and replaced the gaskets in the lower unit. 
Now if you are still reading, then maybe you will be able to help me.. I have reached out to Rinker, formally Rinkerbuilt, but has been Rinker since about 1980 and they only have information back to 1980.. I want to know if this is a rare boat, or if I should just consider it rare by my standards of putting in all of this time and money? All I can find from searching is Tri-hull, Outboard boats, and occasionally some Tri-hull I/o’s. I have once found a V-hull, but it was open bow and an outboard. 
Again, I have a fiberglass, closed bow, V hull, 17’, Mercruiser 140 I/O (3.0L, original 1974 engine) Rinkerbuilt from 1975. It has an orange hull with the orange strip on white for the top. If anyone has any information on this I would so greatly appreciate it!
Thank you, and by the way my name is Zach and I am 22.

Comments

• Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Zach, i can't speak for the rarity of your boat, but that sure is a nice ride. props to you for going through it and bringing it back.
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Zach, 

First of all,  welcome to the forum!  There's a wealth of knowledge here thanks to its great members. 

Amazing job!  It looks like you have the "disease" the rest of us have!  It's ok though,  we're all here to help. 

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Zach welcome to the RBOC. Your boat is a nice looking ride. Classic...... IMO its rare. I would think that you will not find many if any of these boats on the water. Also (not to be a know it all) your boat is not tied up correctly. Stern line should be coming off of the starboard side (right side) and you should have fenders (bumpers) between the boat and the dock its tied to. Good luck with your search of the history of your make and model. Keep us posted... Great looking boat....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zach , great work. You must have learned a lot and be proud of your effort. If you have the discipline, intelligence and work ethic to follow-through on a project of this scope and detail  I predict that you will do very well in life. Contact Nautic Global and ask for the contact information for Randy Rinker or Kim Slocum. - and explain WHY you want to speak to them. Send a picture to Rinker customer relations/advertising etc. Both of these men know a lot about the older Rinkers and I would hope would be glad to assist you! Nicely done! Nautic Global 1-888-463-3739