Options

2011 Rinker 260 EC Planing Issue

I recently took 6 adults and one child on my Rinker 260 EC which is equipped with a 350 Mag Bravo 3.  It has always been a bit sluggish getting on plane with a load, however, this time was virtually impossible and we had to end up turning back.  We did not have a full fuel tank and our water and waste tanks are mostly empty.  At 4000 RPM's with trim tabs down, the boat would not plane and I was getting some "slipping" sensation in the prop shaft and a little bit of exhaust backfire so I throttled-down so as not to push it too hard.  Even trying to adjust the load forward in the boat I ran into the same issue.  The engine and sterndrive are maintained regularly and I just had the propellers refitted this year using PropScan.  I am hoping this is not a problem with the engine coupler or propeller shaft.  Anyone have any suggestions before I consult a mechanic?

Answers

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has the coupler/propeller seemed to slip in the past? Does the engine accelerate without misfiring? I wish I could give you really positive news but it is my opinion, and I would love to be corrected,  I think your 260 with seven people on board with a 350 magnum was close to its limit. Another Rinker owner has made previous posts that he could not keep his 260 adequately on plane and I believe it was returned to the factory for hull adjustment. Your boat "dry" is over 7000 pounds. With some gas water and a few supplies it would be approaching 4 tons of weight (almost the weight of a 290) - certainly with 6 adults and a child on board it would weigh two tons - a huge weight for a 350 mag to push. I had a Rinker 226 XL with the 350 Mag B3 and it only weighed 3600 pounds. Even taking into account my 226 XLs smaller running surface it slowed considerably with more than 4 adults on board. I have always advocated for the most HP available. There have been comments on this forum that 260s run fine with 350 Mags and six adults but I have never been on one that did. The 260 350 mag B3 is a great "pocket" cruiser but imo asking it to haul seven people is asking too much.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 260 EC with B3 350 MAG. I have had 6 adults and 4 children on board. 2 adults we're over 250 lbs each. Full tank of gas, full water tank and empty waste tank.

With trim tabs down and drive trimmed all the way down I was able to plane in about 20 seconds.

With 3 adults and 2 children I am able to plane in about 8 to 9 seconds. 

So it sounds like something is wrong with your drive.

I believe the boat that required modification is the 250 EC.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    You could try changing props  to help you plane off easier, but you will loose top end speed and burn more fuel. I run a set of 24P on my 2000, 242 with a  regular 5.7 EFI. When I have more than 2-3 people I change to a set of 22P . One of the benefits of a trailered boat. Alone with the 22P props the boat comes out of the hole like a rocket, but hits the rev limiter about 40MPH, alone with 24P I hit just shy of 50MPH and no rev limiter.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the boat that required modification was a brand new EC 260 but I could be wrong. I thought Mike Gloomis (I hope I didn't misspell your name Mike) owned it and it was returned to the Rinker factory from his dealer and that the factory altered the hull to enhance planning speed, along with making it easier to stay on plane. I believe Mike posted pictures of the work that was done and looked really good. There should be a rather lengthy thread on this discussion in the forum somewhere in the last year or so.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it was Mike Gloomis. OK yeah it could've been a 260EC. I know that they made them shorter in 2014?? My 2011 260EC is 28'10" LOA. The new ones are shorter. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Good point jhofmann. I have 22P props. No doubt they get me out if the hole fast but my top end speed is 40 mph. I cruise at around 29 to 30 mph at 4100 rpm.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"