Options

Cruising at 25mph when suddenly free revved...

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
Was cruising at around 3500 rpm and it suddenly free revved and boat abruptly came to a stop(350 mercruiser MPI Horizon w/Bravo 3). I immediately shut it off. It won't come out of gear(stuck in same forward position it was in when it occurred). I pulled shift linkage cable and it moves freely. Tried getting into neutral by hand at the linkage(with the controller shift cable removed) but it won't budge. I can feel the first prop, but can't feel the second to see if there's anything wrapped around it... SeaTow pulled me back to my marina(about 3 miles.... $700!!! Thank god I'm a member!!) Going to have the boat pulled and checked tomorrow. Ugh!!!

Comments

• Options
    DustanDustan Member Posts: 1
    Did you spin the hub in the prop? They do wear out and will leave you stranded
  • Options
    I installed the outdrive and props with the previous owner(in the beginning of May)... All the splines etc. looked excellent.... I tried to spin the prop after this happened today but I couldn't (I really didn't have too good of leverage on it either). Have not had any issues, grinding, slippage, etc.... 
  • Options
    I don't think I like ANY of the three things you just said Alswagg... Lol. 
  • Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    I hate to say, but it sounds like the coupler.  my dad had the exact same thing happen 2 yrs ago on his wellcraft.  when they pulled it out, it was shredded inside.   good luck, I hope it is something else.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is the coupler and you have the Small block Chevy, upgrade to the HD Coupler

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    The props should spin by hand easily if it is in neutral. If it won't even shift I suspect it is the drive not the coupler. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Went to the marina and spoke with the mechanic.... They should be pulling it out today/tomorrow and will get back to me. It is currently stuck in a forward position(I immediately turned the key off as soon as I heard it revving up). I tried to spin the props, but I can't get a real good grip on them from the swimplatform.... I'll know soon enough, but the suspense is tearing me apart. 
  • Options
    I've been on the coupler and drive side. Not fun. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Just swung by the marina... Boat is out of the water and the outdrive is pulled off. He doesn't seem to think it's the coupler because it's stuck in gear. Mechanic is going to pull off the top half of outdrive tomorrow and check things out... Ugh!!!
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    This can't be good........

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully just a top bearing tower with no extra shaft, gear or housing damage. I don't know if the bearings etc. are shimmed in the B3s but maybe it is less expensive option. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    chrissyscallchrissyscall Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    For what it's worth it's in good hands, Dave is as good and as honest as they come!
  • Options
    That's good to know.... It's our first time using a marine mechanic! I've seen Dave buzzing around the marina but never really spoke with him... Real nice guy!
  • Options
    Well it's the upper gear box.... Ugh! 
  • Options
    Hope they go thru the lower unit too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Damm.............................................

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Well after a LONG 2 1/2 weeks we're back in the water with a brand spankin' new Bravo III outdrive. Contacted the insurance company the day she came out of the water and they sent 2 different field adjusters to examine the boat to determine the cause of damage(with no results).... Wednesday they sent out a marine surveyor to see if he could determine the cause of outdrive failure... His report stated that due to "soft groundings" the outdrive had weakened internal parts and was the cause of upper gear failure. The insurance company approved the claim and paid 60% of the cost for a new drive(pro-rated). I contacted my mechanic yesterday afternoon and he had a new outdrive delivered and installed by noon today! I arrived at the marina to see my boat on the lift and ready to drop in.... Now my vacation starts!
  • Options
  • Options
    60% is better than nothing!  Glad you are back in the water and tuck that drive in shallow water!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Awesome..... Best of luck..
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Honestly Alswagg, I don't care what they say caused it.... I'm back in the water with a brand new outdrive and the insurance covered a good portion of it!!! WOO HOO!!