Options

232 Exhaust

SquallyEmperorSquallyEmperor Member Posts: 13 ✭✭

First let me say hellow to all. Im a new member.

I have read several post on the old site in regards to captains call and through hall exaust. I am going to be doing some exhaust work on my 04 232 in the next couple of weeks. I have decided to install side exit exaust but will not be using diverters. (full time through hull) I would like to hear a little something but not looking to be a pain on the ear either. Dead silent doesnt work for me but BUTTASS loud doesnt work either.I will be capping of factory Y pipe and removing the elbows used to connect risers to factory Y pipe, then use exhaust hose off the stock riser to a elbow(85 deg.), then more hose to a inline muffler to a corsa exhaust flange. My hope is to get a nice tone without breaking the bank and enjoy the cool factor. Most parts are easy to obtain from several vendors. Boat has 350 B3. I will take pics of install and attempt to post when complete.should be able to complete this for about  $600.00 US

Stay tuned or please ad comments  or questions.

How much is a good time worth?

Comments

• Options
    stockbastockba Member Posts: 4
    how did it go? 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey SE, I'm not familiar with the relative position of the 232 engine to the hull sides so I don't know how much of a bend you will need to put in your exhaust hose. The proper marine exhaust hose (with its internal metal stranding) does not bend very well. When we put in the thru hulls and hit an installation that required a tight bend, I found we could often get elbows of different degree bends at a truck supply (think 18 wheelers) outlet. The elbows for the big rig exhausts are usually made of metal that resists corrosion, heat, acids etc. We found this cheaper than going to a pipe bender and the 4 inch od truck elbows matched the id of the 4 inch marine exhaust hose. I'd like to see some pics of your install once its done to take a walk down memory lane! MT
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

I must be getting old because I can only WISH I had "dead silent" as you said. My 232 has stock exhaust, add in the engine and water noise and sometimes I want ear plugs!

either way.. best of luck and a picture is always nice to see...

• Options

Ok , sorry about the late reply back. I had to put off ordering the parts for the install in order to pay for much go-juice for the boat. Friends and I took a week long trip to Nevada ( lake Majovie)  then to the Avi on the the river, more on that later. Here is the good news,all of the parts came in today!!!  I will be installing the system this Friday. Stay tuned.

Here is a rough parts list for those interested. (2) side exit flanges from Corsa, (8 ft.) of four inch exaust tubing, (2) Y pipe caps , (2) cast allum. 85 deg. exhaust elbows, (2) in line four inch mufflers and a bunch or hose clamps (12)

I think in all cost is around $ 1000.00 U.S. Not exactly cheep but about one third of going the  switchable route.

Angles should be just about right. Looking at the task I believe the most difficult part will be on the port side. trying to get myself into that corner of the motor compartment should be fun. I will need to get with in arms reach of the flange to tighten the hose clamps. The issue is the very nice walk way to get to the swimm platform will not be so nice to get under. O well. Second is the STRESS level of drilling to giant holes in the side of my very nice boat. HOLY S&%$ !!!!   

• Options

SE, for my curiosity what system did you buy from Corsa. Did you buy the switchable exhaust that the diverter runs through the  "stock Y pipe" for its silent- er" mode or did you buy some kind of stand alone system. If you bought a stand alone system removing the Y pipe and using merc's plate is absolutely the way to go. If the diverter uses the Y pipe I'm not sure how removing the Y pipe would works? Al is right pretty much 100% of the time so I'm sure he has the inside track on the deal. MT

• Options

Hey guys,

Ok job went GREAT! Im not gunna say it was easy but not terrible. Did Port side first to find best position for exhaust flange. Had to deal with the walk way going to swimm platform. Exhaust hose would run to the rear of that. Once port side complete other side pretty darn easy. pics to follow. total cost about $900.00 give or take. This was not a KIT. I simply measured for the hose and ordered therest of the parts I felt would work. I did not remove the Factory Y Pipe for a couple of reasons. First in the event I choose to put stock or swichable system in the future wont be that big of a deal. Second is the motor needs to be removed or at leased raised up out of the way to remove y pipe and to install new plate. I simply ordered some caps that were made for merc y pipe through cp performance. worked out great. Sound, well at an idle sounds great, havent been able to put the boat in the water as of yet due to a MAJOR F&$# UP on the part of UPS and HILL Marine. Look for new coments in a prop posting soon.

Over all the install was very sanitary with a nice sound . Kinda like a Harley, you want it to sound like a Harley but dont need strait pipes to do it. Just a nice deep sound. The factory mufflers just dont do it either. Reminds me of that insurance commericial.

Hope this helps any folks out there that might be considering this.

• Options

one more thing,

The only part I ordered from Corsa were the side exit flanges. Most of the other stuff came from on line vendors. There are several exhaust flanges you can order from Corsa, not just the ones you commenly see in the kits.

• Options
    Hey SE, that answers my question. I "thought" you had ordered the full Corsa switchable exhaust. That kit uses the factory Y pipes to divert the exhaust through. Where I used to boat you either had to use mufflers that were so restricting that there was hardly any "Harley" sound left or you had to have a switchable exhaust and switch it to "silent" within 75 feet of shore - which we did if we saw enforcement around. Love to see the pics! MT