Shore power - burn/charring

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
I have an 04 342, the shore power cordset is charting at the boat side. Thinking of replacing cords and outlets on the boat. Would cleaning and using electronic lubricant be a first step or just replace?

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When this happened on my 342, I decided not to take any chances, and I just replaced the cords and receptacles.  I figured they could have heat damage that's not visible and/or not affected by cleaning the contacts.

Also, I forced myself into the habit of turning off the breaker before disconnecting, and not turning it back on until after I was reconnected.  That keeps the new receptacles and cords from getting burned up.
  • l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

This also happened to me a couple years ago. I bought new  Y cord and receptacle.

Also do the same as LaRea with the breakers. No problems since.

Len

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Thank you both, New cordset and outlets on order
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The outlets are easy to swap out. Make sure the gasket goes on right or it will leak. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Had the same problem. Replace the receptacles on the boat and found the wires on them were loose. Loose connections cause heat and burning.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com