Options

Help lost keys and a long way from home

as title says, lost keys somehow and I'm literally on a island    Help?
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the "old days" - we used to jump start the engine(s) at the helm when the engines were carbed and nor EFI/MPI. You'd have to be more careful if your boat is newer and laden with electronics - particularly if you are unsure how to jump start a vehicle/boat. Of course - you would NEVER attempt to jump start a boat in the engine bay!!!!!  Who services your boat? Do you keep it at a marina? I'd call their service department and get their opinion as to the easiest way to do this for your boat set-up..
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say byebye to that ignition set, but you can spike the key way with a screw driver or strong knife, simply turn it and go about your business... A new one is likely in the $50 range, which is still less than a tow. 
  • Options
    l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

Try removing the ignition switch panel and finding the hot wires on the switchs.

Their should be two other position on the switch. One for run and one for starter.

Connect hot wire to run wire and then hit them to starter wire should get you going.

Finding which wires are which will require some experimenting.

No garrentee but just a thought.

Len

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    My '06 Rinker has an ignition switch that looks like it's off a 1950's car. As 212rowboat said, as a last resort stick a screwdriver that's about the size of the key in the slot and give it a twist. I had a '72 Datsun that I owned for a whole year that had a stubby screwdriver for an ignition key. The only problem I had was explaining why to the cop.
    When you're back home, get an extra set of keys made and stash them somewhere on the boat. We've all lost keys, don't feel bad.

Andy  
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Good call Andy for the spare key on board. Going out right now to put one out there!
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Thanks everyone!  As I went to create some wire jumpers to wire the ignition per Alswagg's direction when another 342 Rinker owner from my yacht club stopped by with an extra set of keys for his boat.  To everone's surprise, his keys worked my ignition!!   Are these boats keyed alike or did I just get really lucky?    Ironically he lost his keys at the island last year so he brought an extra set to be safe.   
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are not the same, you just got lucky.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Glad you got lucky!  I as well keep an extra set on the boat. 

As far as what Al stated, (correct me Al if I'm wrong), take the 12V & tie it to ignition and then tap it to yellow until it's started?  Sound correct?  I was just playing with a friend's ignition two weekends ago (one engine didn't crank) and for some reason, one engine wire made it to the solenoid, but the other motor hadn't.  We checked breakers and such.  He made me stop helping and go back to the admiral to enjoy my evening!  But yes, there were only 3 wires as Al stated.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    We were launching our boat a few weeks ago and when Honey Bunny went to jump in the truck to go park, somehow she had locked herself out! Luckily, I had a second set of car keys in my shorts and only needed to press the remote switch on the fob to unlock the truck! I keep a second set of keys on the boat as well, after getting 30 miles from home one time before realizing the boat keys were still at the house:)
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    The key switches run in groups,  Rinker has used 2 differant "groups" of keys.  Early is like 1998 and earlier and the other is later,  each group has about 10 differant keys.  The key switches are numbers or lettered may be a better term.   I have several sets of master keys for both ignition and doors.  Many many times customers forget to leave keys for service and storage.   I remember when Master craft only had two differant keys,  now that was nice.  lol  
    The mechanic where I dock at used to be the mechanic at Allegheny Marina. He has the post 1998 group of keys as well. I have borrowed his a few times when I forgot mine.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    My keys have never left the ignition.   There for the only way I lose my keys are if I lose my boat.   Hopefully that never happens.  But honestly maybe I'm just to trustworthy.   The boat is kept at my house but even when we go on trips I have never taken them out.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Here's the ignition key to my tractor. Ya think it might fit some other tractors? :smiley:
    Andy
  • Options
    You mean I bought a 212 but I can start at least one in ten 342's? . That's.... Awesome... challenge accepted... I'm going to jail. 
  • Options
    You're going to have a lot of fun though (before jail).

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless he takes Steve's boat. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    "Gosh ossiffer, I thunked it was my boat, and dang, the key worked, so...  How was I to know?". (hiccup).... :-D 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re: "I can start 100% of every boat made...." Al, are there any court sealed documents of your youthful escapades out there? LOL

• Options
    So Al please confirm, my key has a 1 in 20 chance of starting another Rinker up?

"Boat + Water = Fun"