Gas usage

Just bought a Rinker 312, 2003.  Filled both tanks.  After a few short trips, I had burned 44 gallons from the starboard tanks and only 12 gallons from the port side tank.  Is this normal?  

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you run the generator? That uses gas from one tank although it shouldnt be that much difference. 
  • RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    H Point;  My Gen. burns a little less than 1 gal. per hour of use. Draws fuel from the closest tank to its location. 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't laugh, but one time I filled my tanks - which I knew due to my electronic tank monitors using the vessel view computers - were each down 75 gallons. The gas attendant swore he filled them both but one took 25 gallons less. Turns out the attendant's pump must have shut off too soon due to an air lock and he was afraid to push it and maybe put gas in the water. So I did not get a full fill on my starboard tank. Unless you have used your generator a fair amount there should not be a 32 gallon difference I between the levels of your two tanks. I suspect an incomplete fill.
    MT is right again
  • WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Also check your fuel line shutoff valves in the engine room. It is possible one was accidentally turned off which would cause fuel to unevenly be used up'd from the two tanks.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yeah, I'm with wild on this one.  If the middle valve is open, then both engines can burn from either tank.  Make sure your valves are in the correct position.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Has someone been in your engine bay since your last fill-up? Because if a valve was shut before your last fill-up you should have noticed it sooner. Those fuel valve handles (usually yellow) can easily get caught on clothing (I have hooked the lever for my tanks cross-over valve a number of times on my jeans pocket),  or a technician could have shut off a valve for a test. Easy to check, let us know what you find.
  • homerpointhomerpoint Member Posts: 10
    thank you very much.  I'll give it a try.  Really appreciate it.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I just took a trip and did 145 miles. Refilled my tanks and took 146 gallons. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    HF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nice Ray! Engine are running well! :-)
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    At Catalina Island this morning unleaded fuel was $7.65/gallon.  :o   Yes, I bought some. And water from a hose is $2 (eight quarters in the slot) for six gallons!

Andy
    edited August 2015
    Holy cr*p - you just stopped my gas cost whining dead. I just paid $5.98 for non-ethanol 91 per imperial gallon (Canada). An imperial gallon equals 1.2 (approx.) American gallons. We pay nothing for water if we gas up......yeah, okay I just saw the pictures on another thread of where you paid the big bucks to gas-up (Catalina Island). I think I'd be okay with the price too if I was surrounded by white sand and palm trees - you have to know (most of the time) pretty DOES cost!  LOL
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    MT yeah boat ran real well. Did about 30 mph average. Great trip and lots of fun... I love my Rinker......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    so, I filled both tanks again.  This time the port tank is at half full and the starboard tank is still full!  Just the opposite of the the earlier issue.  I checked all the fuel valves and they are all open.  
    I'll try that.  Thank you.

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one reason I wanted a boat I can trailer....paying about 2.80 per gallon for non ethanol here in central Florida at a gas station- on the water is 4.50....
    Our price is 2.90 for ethanol.  I can't complain.  We are in the middle of our 10 day trip and gas is 3.27 up in the northern part of Chesapeake on Bohemia river.  I may get 40 gallons just to be on safe side. Should've filled up at home before we left, but I hate running with full tanks all the time. That is like 2400lbs of weight.

Toss them kids overboard and save 200
    Geez and what did I hear gas hit the wholesale market today at - $1.30 a gallon? I would like to see some of that huge surplus and the collapsing prices hit the pumps a little faster. Mind you I won't put ethanol in my tanks - only premium non-ethanol.
    No choice hear, all we have is ethanol.  I add startron to help out.

I see $1.70 MT
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I got 89 octane non-ethanol in Ohio on Lake Erie for $3.19.   

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    We are paying $3.96 a gallon for non enthonal around here not bad I guess but would love to see it drop 
    2002 Rinker FV 342