Options

Genny runs 5 min and quits

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
My 5E does not have gauges. Are there any status lights that would give me a clue? A friend had a similar issue and it turned out to be fuel pump.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The basic status lights are. Green - all's well. Red - (obviously) indicates one or more significant faults, usually significant. Amber - no faults and generator can operate but check service  checklist.  I think the status lights are somewhat useless the real indicators are the indicator codes showing faults. I think your 5E should display these. In the manual there are several pages of code interpretation. I believe someone posted these on the forum recently. My manual for the 5EKD low CO came from Kohler and had a part number of TP-6591 3/13c.  If you had your model number you could contact Kohler at 1-800-544-2444 I would think they could help.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look up my postings on this. I suffered for years of this type of problem. Always start with new spark plugs. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    The genny was HOT after the test run.  Water is coming out the discharge at a good pace so I'm thinking thermostat, air lock or impeller.  

The status lights I believe are under the control cover.  I'll have to get in and look again.

• Options
    Low fuel could cause a lean burn and higher temperature. Low oil could do the same or oil filter restriction. Thermostat is another good candidate. Your fault codes are the best indicators.
  • Options
    Agreed on the codes.  Bit of history.  A hose on the genny had split and let all the coolant escape last season.  The hose was replaced and I re-filled the coolant.  But I didn't do any deeper inspection.  

Also thinking about getting a set of gauges for the genny too.

• Options
    Okay, that's interesting info. My friend had exactly the same event. Are you sure you got all of the coolant back in. My buddy didn't measure the amount he put back in, had an air lock/bubble and it was running low on coolant. Have you confirmed the coolant level since the event. Lots of questions I know just trying to help.
  • Options
    That's on my list.  I've read about the air lock issue.  I just need to crawl down in the engine space and poke it with a stick.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, definitely sounds like an air lock issue.  There is a hex head on the other side of the heat exchanger (opposite of thermostat).  It is a small hole, but it is there to help with air lock.  I've been there done that and it takes a bit to get out.  I would squeeze the hose, tighten the bolt, let loose of hose, undo bolt, squeeze hose, tighten bolt.  & keep going.

Oh, and make sure the hose in your overflow is all the way to bottom & fluid is in there.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    You did say that there was lots of water exiting your unit or I would have also suggested checking for a plugged raw water strainer on your water supply. Those strainers can get clogged real easy if there is floating algae or weeds in the water. That will heat-up and shut a generator down fast.