Options

generator coupling and voltage

99270fv99270fv Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
so my generator quit pumping water, I checked the impeller it was good. decided to go after the coupler, it was bad. while taking this apart I was plugged in to shore power (on the trailer) and was getting a low voltage shock through my body. right hand on wrench and sitting on the motor. I turned the shore power breaker off and it didn't seem as bad but it was present. any thoughts?     

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the battery?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unplug the shore power at  the shore pedestal as well to see if that stops the electrical "leakage".  Have you checked the raw water strainer for your generator's water supply. If that has sucked-up something that could halt the water flow and trigger a shutdown.
  • Options
    99270fv99270fv Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    the coupler is the issue with the generator not pumping water. as far as the voltage issue. while the boat was in the water I took the water pump off of the generator and did not get shocked. only had the voltage issue after I had gotten home and was working on it on the trailer plugged into the house.