Options

CO-2 fault on Kohler 7.3 ECD

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
edited July 2015 in Generator Discussions
ok, here is the story.  This past weekend my generator shut down, looked at the alarm and it said under frequency (UF).  This happened when the admiral turned on the air conditioner (generator had been running for a while at that point, just on a medium load).  So, I looked at the strainer first, ah, was pretty full of seaweed.  Wasn't sure why I wouldn't have gotten LOC alarm instead.  ok, started it back, was fine.  Added A/C down she went.  I believe I got UF one more time.  Next time it switched over to CO-2 alarm.  At this point, it will first give CO-4 and then shut down with CO-2.  To me it could be a couple things.  Either too much backpressure from the catalytic converter or the CO sensor board. 

I will say, I've done some reading and saw someone have very similar issue, UF alarm.  & they changed spark plugs and all was good.  So, I've changed the plugs and also looked all the exhaust lines (removed and inspected with soapy water in case of CO leak - but had digital CO detector next to genny and definitely not a CO issue).  I have not ran it since.  So, keeping my fingers crossed, maybe I'll get very lucky and it is the plugs.  I will run it tonight.

Any one else have similar issues or suggestions?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Options
    Ok, I shouldn't jinx it, but I have it running right now for 15 min under a hard load. Those stinking spark plugs!

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bout time you fixed something
  • Options
    well, I ran it last night for 45 minutes with both ACs set to 65, water heater and a few other items on.  So I'm calling it all good.  I had also reset all the electrical connections between boards and such.  But I'm believing it to be the plugs.  I always keep a 4-pack handy, I'm now down to 2.

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Glad to hear your all fixed...........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    So, it came back. We are out 10days on the boat right now.  At least it runs and will work everything but both ac's together.  I changed plugs and cleaned flame arrestor.  Haven't ran it yet.  One plug looked a little worse than it should for the amount of run time.  Arrestor had a little oil in it.  Not liking this issue!

• Options
    ok, not that a lot of people are following this post (I guess my new topics aren't as interesting).  But, the issue looks to be figured out.  It looks like it was a coil.  When the genny was under too much load, it bogged down and stalled.  Not enough juice to one of the cylinders.  I was in a different marina this past weekend and part was coming in this week.  So, I'll test it out this weekend.  I just didn't have the time, so I took it to my favorite mechanic and they figured it out pretty quickly!

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is always a challenge is there not? Good find! Kind of hard for us shade tree mechanics to figure out all this stuff...
  • Options

What's really funny is I just did a search to see what the cost of a coil is (so I know when I get my repair bill that it's close) and this is what came up:

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1846/kohler-genset-issues-just-wondering-there-has-to-be-a-solution/p1

& of course reading it BD says that the coil is the first item to come to the top and most likely the culprit.  Oh well, I don't take the boat to the shop very often and I just needed to get it working quickly!  I've heard once you replace one, more than likely the other coil will go not long after.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would replace both...

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good info Dream-I try to run mine a little while each time I am out just to keep things moving, otherwise I don't use it much. No where near what I thought. Seems the misses is not to keen on sleeping on the hook yet. I have only half my enclosure replaced, getting that done I'm sure would give her more interest. Otherwise we have been staying where shore power is available. I have a long shore cable, suppose I could cruise canals and sneak up Handy's new digs and his lift out back and plug in!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, I am glad I dont have any of that crap on mine.  :)
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just things growing in that fuel. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD, I hear ya.  Right now I had just one replaced, but I am going to buy another coil and replace the other myself (or at least have the spare).

Ras, once you get the admiral sleeping on the hook, there is nothing like it!  run that genny and make her like the comforts of home while on the hook if need be!  Once she gets hooked, it's all over!  It's getting to that time of year down there where you can anchor all night and open the hatches/port holes and enjoy the breeze.  Replace the enclosure now, instead of later and then not getting as much enjoyment out of it.  (I've been there, and replaced all kinds of things years after owning boats only then to sell them and say "man, I should've replaced it years ago and enjoyed it a bit".  It took till our 4th summer with this boat, but we finally got all new tables & carpet. 

I can't wait to get on the boat on Friday and try that genny out!  I'll enjoy actually having someone else do some of the fixin this time around!