A lot can be learned from this....

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/07/26/6-hospitalized-and-2-missing-after-boat-runs-aground-near-key-bridge/

http://patch.com/maryland/dundalk/one-dead-one-missing-boat-wreck-near-key-bridge-0

Well, I'm not one to preach, but take a look at these pictures from this past weekend.  Ok, now imagine if you were sitting on that bow of that boat.  Too many people ride on the bow while cruising.  STUPID!  Yesterday, after hearing about the accident, I counted just riding along my river for a few miles.  I got up to 5 boats of with people sitting on the bow while cruising & was disgusted.  Yes, there is a lot more to this story than that, especially cruising on plane at dark, and hmm, at 3am, go figure.  But I thought I'd get my pet peeve in there!

For anyone out there that lets someone ride on the bow while cruising, think about it.  A large wave & they are gone.  Years ago I was close by when some ran over their own 4 yr old after a wave sent them out of their bowrider.  (& yes, this was a boat made for guests to sit up front)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% behind your pet peeve  DI - Those 37 sea rays are heavy boats. The damage to the bow indicates to me that they must have been really moving. As the reporter said drinks on land, headed for more dinks on the island, in the dark at 3:00 a.m. and no life jackets.
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Unreal. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    This is a terrible event whether alcohol was involved or not.  Prayers to the family members and those involved in the incident.   

On a side note, i thought it was illegal for anyone to ride on the bow?  What makes a boat legal for people to ride there?
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Wild, you are correct. It is illegal. I did see coast guard pulling some over on the weekend. I do feel very sad for the family. It is ashame anyone goes thru it when it shouldn't happen.

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have friends who boat on Lk Minnetonka and brag how they can ride on the bow there. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's being reported as a 3AM run from one drunken party to another.  I think it's safe to assume they were not a bunch of dedicated distance cruisers starting an overnight passage.  Also safe to assume that the concrete dolphin, which is as big as a building, would have been pretty easy to see on radar.  

I hate to see it, and hate the fact that it's an avoidable accident (if the early reporting is correct).
    Very sad situation. That aside, LaRea  I agree with you and add as we, on this list know - if for ANY reason the captain can't see clearly he is obligated to his passengers to STOP and proceed SLOWLY only when it is SAFE.
    The Washington Post is reporting that the captain didn't know any of his passengers before that night.  He met them "in a cafe in Dundalk" and "offered to take the group to Fells Point."   

It'll be easy to catalog a long string of poor decisions by everyone in the group, but the ultimate responsibility rests with the captain.  That guy isn't going to see water again for a long, long time. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    LaRea, that is what I've heard as well.  Except I heard one is his wife (one of the ladies that died).  & yes, captain is always responsible.  When the admiral & I go anywhere at night, we will not drink.  She feels as responsible to be my lookout for the entire ride.  It makes me feel much better with another set of eyes.  Nighttime boating is so different and really takes your full attention.

• duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    I do not drink and drive my boat. Ever! 
    Always been my motto for over 50 years of boating - has paid-off well.
  • Dan4754Dan4754 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    At the risk of hijacking this thread:
    What is a reasonable condition to drink on a boat?
    To preface, I never drink when I know I will be driving. But what about when you are on the hook for the night?
    What if you get a visit from some authority? Is it acceptable to just say you are in for the night?
    Then, of course, what if  something occurs and you just have to move or head in?
    It's not like on land where you can call a friend or a cab.
    I'm just curious how others handle this situation.
    We like to spend the night in our slip and, at those times, will let the libations flow.
  • LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Same behavior here in our slip things can get very festive some nights but when on the move the is always sobber
  • bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I let my boys drive when I been drinking they both have their boating liscence but are not old enough to drink yet 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
    Been there done that. They're so expensive they have to be good for something! LOL
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    July 3rd we were on the hook to watch some fireworks and stay the night. Just before the show the wind changed directions and a few boats had to move to a different spot (we were one of them). At this point I had a few drinks and was the only one that could maneuver the boat through the crowed water to find an open spot. The coast guard and local PD asked us to move, this was a tough situation for me. Luckily all went well!
    2008 330EC
    edited August 2015
    It's illegal to *operate* a boat under the influence.  If the boat is anchored, it is not underway, so the restrictions don't apply.  It's legal for everybody onboard to be drunk.  But, like aero3113 said, there's always a risk that you might need to get underway.  Also, if a boat is drifting, it's underway and the operator can't legally be drunk.  

In some US states, operators younger than 21 can't have ANY alcohol (as opposed to .08% BAC for adults).  

I read that in Canada, passengers can drink alcohol on an anchored or docked boat ONLY IF the boat has permanent cooking facilities, sleeping facilities and toilet.  If I understood it correctly, you can't drink on a dinghy or jet-ski even if it's anchored.  I don't think the US law says that. 

• LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    LaRea you are right
    Yes LaRea,  Canadian law states what you said - EXCEPT in the Province of Quebec where the Captain can not be drinking or "legally" drunk as per the .08 BAC. BUT, in the Province of Quebec, the passengers may have open alcohol AND be consuming it while the boat is underway.