Trim tabs for my Rinker 246? Do I need them?

I have a 2013 Rinker 246 Cuddy and I do most of my boating on Lake St. Clair in Michigan where it can be pretty choppy. Most of the time I have a full boat and the weight is all toward the back. So when the conditions are rough, I don't want to very fast, just barely on plane at about 3200 rpm. The boat "attitude" or bow angle is a little high at that slow speed. Would trim tabs help me to plane at slower speeds and get the bow down to cut through the chop?

They sell a lot of the 246 and 276 Rinkers at the dealer on the lake here, I didn't see many with tabs already installed. I wonder why? Any idea how much it would cost to have the dealer install them? Are there any advantages to hydraulic vs. electric tabs?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had trim tabs on a 2011 Rinker 226 XL and they made a HUGE difference in speed to plane, balancing the boat side to side and front to back with different loads and particularly in keeping the bow down and ride quality decent in rough weather. Your 246 is at least a 5000 pound boat, so it's my opinion that trim tabs would really help. What do you have for an engine?
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Trim tabs can help smooth out the ride.  They are also good for leveling out (port or starboard list) while underway.  Tabs would help you plane at slower speed at the cost of fuel efficiency.  

As for the chop, LSC being shallow and the number of boats out there are going to make it choppy some days.

IMO, the tabs are worth it.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    One word........... YES. 

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I put Lenco trim tabs (12" x 12") on my '04 232 br this spring. I love them. I can throttle down to about 15 mph and stay on plane. I can get on plane much quicker with 6 - 8 adults on board. Plus I can lower tabs in rough water to cut through chop.

On another note, check to see if the spacer on the rear of the trim cylinder attachment bolt is installed so the drive can be trimmed down more. My boat is very rear heavy and needs the spacer ahead of cross pin (bolt) so I have additional down trim to be stable. The shop that winterized my boat last fall installed the spacer towards the back and the boat would porpoise this spring when trimmed all the way down. 

I would consult with your dealer about the spacer, as placement of the spacer in relation to the attachment bolt, can change the attitude of the boat. I would also consult with them on the trim tabs. It is a cost issue when selling new boats. I have the 350 Mag with Brovo 3, I think the 246 has the same. I would not go without them now. The higher end boats, in the same size and power, have them standard.

Rob

• 2013Rinker246cc2013Rinker246cc Member Posts: 18
    Sounds like I need trim tabs...  I was doing a little internet research, I had no idea there were so many trim tab options.  I went on the Bennett trim tab web site, it says the wider the tab the better and recommends a 24" wide tab for a 24' boat. I have never seen a 2 foot wide tab on the back of a boat.  When I look at pictures of 246 Rinkers, the tabs only look like a foot wide. 

Does any body know what size and brand of tab installed at the factory for this boat?  I emailed "Nautical Group" to see if they can tell me.
    My factory 226 XL had 12"X12" Lenco captain adjustable, automatic retracting trim tabs - worth every penny. Completely changed the usefulness and comfort of the boat in a variety of load and water conditions.
    good to know.  I got in contact with Rinker, they say they put Lenco 12" by 12" tabs on the 246.  Would bigger (wider) be better?
    Good question. At a certain size point the trim tabs become rectangular in that they become longer. One would "think" that bigger is better BUT we know that Rinker has been shipping your boat with the 12X12 configuration and that works. My question to you want to gamble with a different configuration? just a thought. :-)
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that they weren't factory installed on your boat. Once you have them installed you will notice a HUGE improvement in performance and handiling.
    2008 330EC
  • JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Best money you can spend one investment that will pay you back
    shawn, I left a post on your Trim Tab thread...  Rinker installs Lenco standard mount 12x12 trim tabs at the factory.  They use a special order Lenco kit that you can order from Lenco through a 3rd party.   The lenco kit number is Lenco #10062-101