Options

Dear Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder

youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
Please stop wiring boats, and if you dont, could you please stop using the same wire colors for EVERYTHING. I have a hard enough time climbing down into the engine compartment, much less trying to figure out what wire goes where and what it does. 
Now on to the previous owners of my boat. Please stop working on the boat when you are drunk and PLEASE repair the problems correctly. Twisting the wires together and using electric tape is not an approved repair. There is a new thing out called heat shrink, please learn how to use it and please start using it.. Also, wire connectors...... They have little pieces of plastic on them for a reason, START USING THEM. It gives a much cleaner look.
There is a thing called an amp. It is a unit of measure, more amps more power. Wire size is determined by amps. The more amps, more/thicker wire.  How do you expect an bilge pump to work if you wire it with telephone wire? For that matter, how do you expect the stereo to work properly if you wire it to the bilge pump wire (no kidding he wired the stereo and the bilge on the same telephone wire)
There is a thing called a buss bar. Please save the next guy a headache. Use them
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

Things not going to well we see?

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you would like to consign your boat's previous owner to the wiring assembly line in h*ll. I vote for that too and yes, I've seen lots of what you are talking about. It makes one shake one's head!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Sorry to hear about your "hack" job. I take it you did not get your boat surveyed before you bought it. Its a good thing you found the phone wire or you could of had a fire. You should do more checking to make sure everything is safe. Good luck and keep us posted.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    I use to be amazed at things I've found or seen on other boats and mine. Now I just shake my head pour another drink break out the tools. Rewired a fuse box for the elderly lady next to us last year charred wires from where her son added some "electronics" unfortunately some people are in over their head and are to proud to ask for help. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Telephone wire.  In an engine room.  For a critical safety component.  That cracks me up.

For most boat owners, maintaining such a high level of ignorance would be hard work, but it just comes naturally for some people.   
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    What made me cringe was looking at the alt and seeing that instead of just replacing the broken red wire he took a heat shrink crimp connector and crimped the busted wires back together but didnt bother to heat up the heat shrink.
    This boat has been cursed since I purchased it a little over a year ago. All sort of goofy electrical gremlins. Bad starter, fried fridge transformer, possessed stereo, 2 count them 2 bad battery switches and now a flakey water heater. Oh well, 1st world problems. I suppose I could have worse things to deal with
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's the only outlook to have you....went through a lot of the same stuff. Lot's of discussions back and forth as to which is the best boat to buy- one with hours that has been "maintained" or one with very low hours you don't know anything about. It really depends on who "maintained" it and if they knew what the are doing or not. I went with a boat with low hours thinking he may not have done anything to it which my thought process was, at least he did not mess with it much! Could go either way, that's for sure but I had my share of issues but feel I have a pretty good handle on it and with all the stuff I have had to do (similar to your description above) learned a heck of a lot about my boat! I bought a 2005 for 34 grand that is loaded with options and feel I made a pretty good purchase, even though I had to fix a bunch of stuff but nothing I could not fix myself....
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    OTOH, fouls made by the previous owner force you to learn the details about your boat, and that's usually a good thing.  1st world problems -- yep, the best kind!