2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

Looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW - You're hired! Fantastic look!  +$$$$$$ on your investment!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    All I did was rip out the existing carpet.  I had a flooring guy do the install.  I can get you his number.  :)

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Nice. Same exact flooring I have in my 280
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    I actually got it over the winter and had to find someone to install it.  Now I have about a 20 inch wide, 11 foot roll of Lonseal left over.  Not sure where it will end up.

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Looks good Stodge! Love these boats
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    how did you find an installer?  I would like to have something similar done in our 310. 
  • Options
    The guy who did mine does flooring for homes normally.  He just started to branch out into doing boats to fill in the gaps.  Most places won't take the work because they pay by the square foot.  This being a "guy and a truck" kind of business he takes what he can get when it comes along.    

• Options
    SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    i love it!! gonna do that to my 310 next spring.. how much for the material?
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • Options
    I got it at defender.com.  It was on sale for about $35/foot when I bought it.  I think it normally runs closer to $40/foot.  

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, what are the materials? Did you have to sand down the carpet glue? Was it difficult? How did you work around the step support post?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    The flooring is Lonseal.  I had to cut the carpet on the starboard side.  The carpet on the dinette is actually connected to the carpet on the floor.  I basically cut down the middle of the floor and started ripping.  I had to scrape under the carpet to free it in places.  Once I had it all out I used a wide (4 inch) blade scraper to remove what I could.  I did not sand.  The stairs came out for the install.  They went back in easier than they went out as they had been on top of the carpet and the new flooring is thinner than the carpet.  

The deck is not exactly even and was much more noticeable with the carpet out.  The new floor conforms to the shape of the fiberglass.  It's not crazy uneven but it seems more noticeable now.  If I had the time/resource/patience I'd have a sub-floor put in over the fiberglass.  But that would make the re-install of the stairs much more difficult.  

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Looks really good Stodge.   What did you do near the front berth on left side where floor raises up?  Another member of or YC did his and I love it except for that spot, looks like the floor was peeling up.  Carpet tends to blend it in better.  I was wondering about leaving that corner carpet.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    It was replaced.  The installer put some weight on that corner while it dried.  I'll be watching it for while.

• Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Stodge - Looks really nice!  Is that slippery at all with wet feet?

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    Looks great! I really need to replace my carpet one these winters.
  • Options
    Actually it's not slippery.  There are different styles of the Lonseal flooring.  This one is an indoor/outdoor low slip.  I don't know if I'd put it on the stairs, but it's been good on the deck.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharp! I for sure want to rid myself of that carpet. I did clean mine a couple of weeks ago and was surprised how well it came out. If must be pretty good quality carpet as it cleaned like new.....but I'd rather have some type of flooring and after doing all the tile in my house, I figure I can handle the labor.......we'll see!
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Love that Loneseal. It's a project that I would be interested in doing myself.

What did the underlayment look like after you pulled the carpet and did you have to do any sanding?

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    There is raw fiberglass under the carpet Dan.  I scraped but did not sand.

• Options
    ShelbyShelby Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Looks great Stodge!  How thick is it and do you use mastic with it or does it come with self adhesive?  Thanks. Shelby
    2005 320  Twin 350 Mags MPI  Bravo III  Lake Cumberland, KY.
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Thanx Stodge....I'm really interested in this, pretty sure I'll attempt it before next summer.

I just got my samples and it's maybe a bit thicker than 1/8. From what I've read, it is not self adhesive, you have to glue it in place.

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    The guy that did my install used a flooring adhesive.  Not sure what exactly.  One thing he did say though was that it needed to be in the 70s for 24 hours to allow it to dry properly.  He had done a boat before mine and had less than perfect results but it was colder over night.

As for the thickness, I was happy that it was a little thinner than the carpet when it's mashed all the way down.  I had to give the stairs a good shove to get them out.  The base of the stair was on top of the carpet.  But it was easy to get them back in.  I lined up the top of the stair and crossed my fingers putting the base screws back in, but they lined up fine.

I'm thinking of finding a 1/2 piece of starboard to use as a base for a cockpit table.  I still have a an 11' x 20" piece of Lonseal.  I don't see a good way to use it on the stair steps.  Besides it's not as non-skid as I'd like for steps.  But it should make a pretty table top.