Big Trouble?

tboattboat Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
Smell a little gas when tank is full but otherwise nothing. Brought to the Rinker dealer and they said the fitting at the back of the tank (you can get to it from engine compartment) that the fuel pump extracts the gas from tank can not be tighten because nut on inside of tank spins when they tighten outer nut. There fix was to cut out tank on my 08 246 and that cost $4000. they will not  try sealant because of liability issues. Has anyone had that problem? Any fix? Help
Post edited by mvn on

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a sealant that is used on the fuel sending unit to seal the bolts on that. It is made for that particular application (fuel), so not sure why it can't be attempted.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    No way, man.. 

Yeah, that's one way to do it, but would be like tearing down an engine because the air filter is dirty... 

Overkill... 

The tank doesn't have a nut inside... The plate has a boss... The boss is stripped.. several easier ways to manage this... Proper way is to pump tank out, take sensor/straw out.. reach in with towel to capture shavings and tap a new thread for a larger screw... 

Easier way is to take that screw out, along with all the others, and run a longer bolt all the way through, with a tabbed nut affixed to inside thread end,  then simply start it, turn the plate to match other holes, and tighten everything down.. use a new cork gasket.... Pretty simple, man.  
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    As usual all great ideas from 212. I saw a similar fix where self threading screws of a larger diameter were used. It worked perfectly. Even with this process i would think you should, as 212 suggested, capture any filings.
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • tboattboat Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    We took a closer look. Its the pick up hole for the fuel pump.The threads are not stripped. The gasket on the inside of the tank is in bad shape and no way to get one inside of the tank. Also the is another hole a couple inches to right that has a plug but doesn't appear to be used. I going to try permatex  aviation form a gasket under the nut and around the nut. Any one have any sugestions? 
  • WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    The other hole is for a generator pick up tube.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • tboattboat Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Thanks for the input. You guys are great. I went with the permatex aviation, Let you know how it worked.