Options

Windlass breaker trips

bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
the 50 amp breaker on my windlass trips once in a while when I bring up the anchor. The breaker resets a few minutes later once is cools off. Is this typical? I don't want to stuck with my anchor down 50' down in the mud. Windlass is a horizon 600 and is 9 yrs old
any comments would help

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your ground, could be corroded or loose causing the breaker to trip. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Are you lifting the anchor with only the windless? You should be using the boat while lifting your anchor. Put the  boat in forward nice and slow and steer towards the anchor rode while pushing the "up" button. This will take all the pressure off of the rode and the windless should draw less current. 

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    My 600 ended up with burnt out brushes, it was getting to 10 years old. I called Lewmar and they gave a good deal on an exchange unit as there are no parts for it to rebuild.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray you wouldn't how many people in my area use the windlass to "tow" their boat towards the anchor then expect it to lift the anchor with 50 pounds of mud and seaweed on it.....and they wonder why they have failures. :-)