Options

Looking at a 342 with Volvo 5.0 gxi's, underpowered???

We're trying to come back to Rinker.  We sold our 270 several years ago and went with a Cuddy, it didn't cut it.

We're looking at 342's, just fits all the bills.  The Admiral and I are looking at a very clean 2006 342... but... it has Volvo 5.0 gxi motors. 

Is this enough motor for this boat?  at +/- 14,000 lbs, I worry its the low end of the HP scale.  If I'm wrong, I'd love to know it.  Seems it could get decent fuel economy if I stay out of the throttles.  I don't need to get there that fast but I worry it might be underpowered?

I hope I'm wrong, its a beautiful clean example.

Thank you for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    The top speed will be lower, but you'd probably notice it more in time-to-plane.  You might find that with a full fuel load and lots of passengers, the boat won't get on plane at all.  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

In my opinion it is very underpowered and  when reasonably loaded (almost full of fuel, fresh water and 1/3 waste) with food and drink for overnight or longer and a BBQ life jackets other safety gear fenders, clothes etc, plus 4 people you will - in reality - have a displacement boat. This boat runs decently with 377 magnums - 6.2 liter magnums. I do not own one but have been a guest on a dozen of them over the years. A fabulous boat design, one of Rinker's best, strong and fast (with the right engine - which I don't think the 5 liter is - even the GXis). I think buying it would be a huge mistake. Look for more power, for your use and for later re-sale. Sorry to be a sh*t with bad news but we are a Rinker brotherhood on this forum and try to look after one another,.

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Which model outdrive is bolted to those 5.0GXi's? For an '06 that should be question number one. And I agree with Michael that with a boat of 14K plus pounds, that is not enough horsepower, and getting more out of the 5.0 is not practical.

Andy
  • Options
    Mightys4Mightys4 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Thank you for the advice folks, we were honestly worried about the lack of power for such a large boat.  We've decided to keep looking.
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Mightys4 said:
    Thank you for the advice folks, we were honestly worried about the lack of power for such a large boat.  We've decided to keep looking.

Although the 342 is a great boat, I think you made the right choice. I've got the 5.7's and although I feel it's powered appropriately, the 5.0's in my opinion would be underpowered.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342