Options

VHF no longer has any sound,,,

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't use my VHF much and don't know much about how it works,,,I currently can't get any sound out of it and not sure if I'm missing turning something on or not as it has worked hit and miss- I did find a manual for it, it's just a very basic horizon model. I see I have a button that gives 10 channels for weather channels and then you have the other channels for various emergency/haling channels. I don't if I have an issue with the on/off switch or just something else very basic that I'm missing. It comes on, the channel buttons all work near as I can tell but there just is no sound. I pulled the unit out and it's very well sealed up and not wired to any external speaker...any idea? I see that there should be a way to wire to an external speaker, how hard is it to run to the boat speaker that is right there at the helm, perhaps the internal speaker has just failed?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The unit probably has a squelch knob, possibly it's turned down all the way?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    it does, and  have rotated it around, get nothing but thanks for the suggestion, seems like there are just nagging little details all the time, that's boatin!
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Mine is same no sound not on weather channel nothing figure it must be time for new one but really never use it but plan on changing it soon it should be a cheap fix to replace
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    that's what you always think.......
  • Options
    OK guys, I'll buy a new one...it has only an internal speaker....is there any particular match up with the antenna?
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    No.  VHF radios use a standard SO-239 socket and your antenna feed line will have a PL-259 connector on the end.  So the antenna is plug and play.  Power and DSC will be another story.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Now see, that's why I want to fix it, what would be the power issue and what the heck is dsc?
  • Options
    hmmm.....I will look into that. I have a Garmin GPS, will have to see if I can tap into that. Keep in mind I never go out actually in the ocean- most of my boating is the St. Johns River and inner coastal waterways. I do hope to one day shoot over to the Bahamas so that feature for sure would be very desirable....I'm sure Sea Tow is tapped into that somehow as well so even on the rivers it could save some time finding us if in trouble...thx
  • Options
    That's what I am thinking Cable.....I don't need to re invent the wheel here and the simple jobs always turn out, well, it's a boat.....
  • Options
    OK- so this has obviously not been a priority, but  I do want to figure it out. I'm concerned I buy a nice new radio and then find it's the antenna. Did I mention I recently replaced it cause I knocked the darn thing off? I don't use the radio much, it worked when I put in the new antenna , it worked for a couple uses. Quit, then worked again one time and then quit. On another site, a ruff way to check is to pull the coax and put a coat hanger in and if there is a very local broadcast, you might pick that up and rule out the radio. Not sure that test worked right from my driveway. Will try again this weekend on the water. I thought also, it might be the internal speaker. I have a Rinker speaker right there by the helm, as a test how would I hook it up< I see a plug in on the back of the unit but no idea what plug I would need, how would I connect the speaker? If I am going to drop 600 bucks on the boat I just have more pressing things the boat needs... I usually am in cell phone range but I do want to resolve. I don't need to talk to cruise ships!