Options

Low Power 02 Captiva 232 w/ 350 Mag MPI

FlickFlick Member Posts: 2

I'm looking for help.  I'm not a mechanic but very mechanically inclined.   I've had 2 mechanics have look at this problem and charge me but haven't fixed the problem.

Problems started at first startup this spring.  The check valve that runs coolant (lower right side of engine) had cracked and sent water spraying everywhere about 1- 2 mins after I had planed up going 30ish.  It lost power and then died.   The second mechanic found weak spark and replaced the rotor in the distributor because it had a small hole burned down through the center and was probably arcing downward.  He also replaced the spark plugs.  Now it runs at about 1/2 power.  He can't find the cause of the low power problem and says the computer is showing the ECM working like it should. 

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Flick

Comments

• Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I have gone through my own engine issues on my '04 Captiva 232 w/350 Mag MPI this last year, so I feel your pain. Mine was an engine miss mid range late last year, then this spring at start up it was dying at idle.

Mine ended up with 2 problems, ECM was bad not letting engine idle ($1,750 + labor). My dealer swapped out the ECM (loaner from Merc), coil, replaced IAC valve. New ECM solved dying at idle. Mechanic put old ECM on with new IAC valve and would still die at idle. He put new ECM back on and it would idle fine.

He finally replaced cap, rotor, wires, and plugs, which I had replaced last fall. The mechanic was stumped, as well as Mercruiser Tech. After Dealer replaced cap, rotor, wires, and plugs the engine has run fine. However, at year end I am going to have my injectors sent in to be tested.

It sounds like your engine could be in guardian (limp) mode because of a fault that was read in computer (ECM) so the issue doesn't damage the motor, hence limited performance. Water in fuel is another item to check, These motors have fuel cooled by water to help prevent vapor lock. If check valve failed you could have had freezing (winterization issue) in cool fuel cell. Just a thought.

Limited RPM could also be a fuel restriction (filters, injectors, fuel pressure, etc.). Have you seen oil level increase in crankcase? That would indicate a fuel pressure or injector issue.

Keep us posted on what you are learning.

Rob