Options

Thermostat from a car/ Temp gauge

youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
Soooo for the last month or so I have been having a hard time starting the boat after it has warmed up. 1995 265 with the 454.  Well back in May or so (alot of beer ago) I removed some rocks from the thermostat, since then when the engine was at the 150 degree mark the starter would Heat soak and be slow to turn the engine over. I have since cleaned every connection on the charging/starting system to no avail.
Friday I put the boat in the water, apparently the bravo water pump didnt self prime and the temp gauge got to 250 As I am tapping on the gauge and the thermostat housing thinking I had a stuck thermostat I smell the overheat this is going to be expensive smell. UMM this temp gauge aint accurate at all , and shut the engine off. After a beer I figure what the heck, its making bad expensive noises now so I cant really break it anymore and started it and gave it full throttle for about 30 seconds in neutral. Well that primed the water pump and the temp fell like a stone. Thankfully I didnt crack or break anything. 
So now Im curious as to what the thermostat is rated for because the temp gauge is reading 150 but I also know that the gauge is not accurate at all. I pull the tstat and Ill be, it starts opening at 195f   Someone put a car thermostat in there.    
I have the stat arkansas engineered so that it is opened but not too much and guess what, my heat soak problem is gone.  I guess the temp was too high and the engine was on the bleeding edge of overheating all this time. 
If this wasnt a public board I would use words that would make a sailor blush

Im really starting to think maybe I should take up Chess instead of boating

Comments