Options

280 EC Stereo Upgrade

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
To all of the 280EC Cruisers out there... Who has upgraded their stereo in their cruiser? I would like to add a sub, but I am not sure where to mount it. I was looking at under the helm seat. When you replaced your amp, what did you replace it with? 4 channel? 5 channel? Did you keep it mounted in the TV cabinet? Does anyone have any pictures? Did anyone add any speakers near the U shaped seating? My Clarion system is still working well. The remotes work and the head unit works well. I would just like to change the amp and add speakers and a sub. Thanks in advance.
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Cableguy Greg...I just did this 2 weeks ago. I couldn't stand the Clarion anymore. I replaced all four 6.5 inch speakers on the deck and also cut in 2 6x9's in the deck as well. I tore out the 2 channel amp, head unit and the CD changer. I replaced it with a 5 channel amp also installed a shallow mount 10 inch sub. It fit exactly perfect under the seat in back of the captains seat. I bought a Pioneer sub off Amazon that came already mounted in a box. It has impressed me.  I figured I had to buy a sub for $60-$70 and then build a box regardless so this route saved all that hassle and it sounds great. I mounted the amp next to the sub as well. For class D amps, you need as short of a ground run as possible. I have a 3rd battery installed right below the seat in the engine compartment. Ran 4 gauge power and ground wiring to that battery below. Needless to say I had to abandon the 2 Clarion remotes on the deck which is totally OK with me now that the system actually sounds good. I have a 2007 280 EC by the way so I don't know how much of a different in layout there was but it was definitely worth the 8 hours of time I put into it! System sounds amazing. Can hear it loud and clear from 50 feet away in the water!

http://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-TSSWX2502-Shallow-Mount-Pre-Loaded-Enclosure/dp/B00JQTU3QC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438784460&sr=8-2&keywords=Pioneer+10+inch+sub
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced the cockpit speakers last season with Alpines, which sound great. I am looking for that extra punch in the low end. If you can get some pictures of what you did, that would be great.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I am headed out there either tonight or tomorrow, I will snap some pictures of everything for you. THe 6x9's definitely weren't needed, but I am 27 so I do like to party with my group of friends here and there. But its did add the punch that the 6.5's were missing. Also adding 2 5x8's underneath the seat on the swim platform but that is next year. I'll post pictures!
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

Not for nothing, I love my Clarion system that came with the boat. Just saying.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    You couldn't pay me to keep that clarion system 
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    i upgraded my stereo on my 250ec with this kenwood/kicker  kit and i must say i am impressed! i bought a set of matching 8's to put in the rear of the boat(slight modification) and they sound amazing! plus they look pretty cool lit up at night.
     i had some old school rockford fosgate amps in my garage that i've had for over 15 years so i put 2 of them in the boat, one amp on the 4 6.5's at 2ohms and one amp on the 8's. i am really impressed with the kickers  sound and power handling. if it wasn't for the one speaker in the front of my cockpit area on the port side being in a tight spot(had to stay with 6.5), i would have went with all 8's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351294617088?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181744511059?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT