Options

Blower causing static in speaker

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
I installed a new system a couple weeks ago and now when I turn my blower on I get static in the speakers. I tried moving the speaker wire around when the blower was on to see if it was laying on any power wiring that would cause the interference but it was still present. Anyone have any other ideas?
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's more likely your power lead to the blower... it's called EMI.  Shield the power to blower wire better.   The receiver in the new system is more sensitive than the receiver in the old. 
  • Options
    Is the blower on the starboard side? How do I shield it? Run a new power wire?
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Did you install an amp?
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Installed an amp yes. Checked the power wiring for that as well. Goes straight down to the battery terminal. Not touching anything. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can shield it by wrapping the wire with foil.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aero, tell me you're not one of those conspiracy guys who puts tin foil in their hats to block CIA signals! ;-)
  • Options
    Really dont want to wrap it in tin foil lol. Would it be easier if I ran a new shielded power wire for the blower? 
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    Aero, tell me you're not one of those conspiracy guys who puts tin foil in their hats to block CIA signals! ;-)
    LoL!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    jme097 said:
    Really dont want to wrap it in tin foil lol. Would it be easier if I ran a new shielded power wire for the blower? 
    I wouldn't leave the foil on, just do it to trouble shoot. If the static goes away you know the wire is the issue.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    The RCA wires that run from the head unit to the amp, are they anywhere near the blower wiring?
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    You have to "ground" 1 side (not both) of the foil......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    when you installed your new system, did you use the factory ground for your head unit? any time you have noise in your stereo, it's due to grounding issues. not sure how hard it will be with your model boat, but if you can run a dedicated ground, that should solve your problem. if it's going to be a real PITA to run a new ground, run you a temporary one straight from your battery to your head unit to see if that solves your problem. i had the same problem in my 250ec. i added multiple amps so i ran a dedicated 4ga power and 4ga ground to supply my amplifiers but i  used the factory ground for the head unit. i had the noise when i opened the hatch and turned on the blower. i disconnected the head unit from the factory ground, grounded it to the ground block for the amps, and the noise is gone. good luck

• Options
    I did use the factory power/ground for the new head unit. I was thinking about that after I installed it and I had a feeling that could be a possibility. Also I found out that when I turn my nav lights on the bow on it also causes a buzzing through the speakers as well. I will turn a separate ground wire to the battery and see it that helps. 

Thanks for all the tips guys!
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    You need a noise reducer between the battery terminal and your power lead.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.