Options

Not reaching plane

Joanne32Joanne32 Member Posts: 7
Hi I have a 270 fiesta 2006 volvo penta 5.7 , I can not go past 15 knot on full revs ? Engine sounds ok could it be prop damage ? I noticed when I last had her out the water jagged edges on the duo props ? 

Comments

• Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    Make sure there is no weeds around the props. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And bottom clean
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jagged edges on prop? Sounds like it was damaged. Is the drive vibrating? You should have that looked at before the damage gets worse.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Jagged edges on the duo props is not good. To my knowledge, all duo props are SS. It takes a heII of a whack to noticeably  damage an SS prop. I would have the prop splines checked for run out or miss alignment as there might be damage that you can not hear. Certain damages to the drive splines can cause water to get past the drive seals and into your drive. This is something that you do not want $$$$$. Advice - get it checked-out fast.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Bottom line, don't use the boat until a new prop is installed.
    Andy
  • Options
    Joanne32Joanne32 Member Posts: 7
    I think the pitting and jagged edges are due to electrolysis the marina in France had a ship building company working in the water ! The props were fine until I got there but thanks for the advice about changing the props 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There must be a heck of a lot of pitting to keep your boat off plane. I have seen some really ugly propellers still get a boat on plane. What shape is your hull in? Are there barnacles on your drive? hull? Those little b*ggers change everything. Have you checked the level of gear lube in your gear lube reservoir? is there any sign that drive gear lube is leaking into the water as in a sheen? This sounds like more than just props to me.
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    has this been a problem all season or did it just occur? If all season then its time for a full tune up including spark wires. If it just occurred recently then look for something amiss  IE a tree branch stuck at the outdrive (dont ask how I know) 
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Reminds me of the video of the guy trying to get his boat going fast, only it was still strapped to the trailer.

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    because I spent a bunch of money on gas and tune up parts on the 265 because it would not get up on plane, ran great but still wouldnt do it. Pulled the boat out and low and behold a tree branch was stuck on the drive. Pulled the stick out and now it jumps up on plane in 5 seconds