Options

My phone is in the hull!

2004 342, was working on the AC unit under the bow berth and it slipped, slid down and through a small opening and is resting somewhere just aft of the drawers in the forward berth. It looked like I would have to take the whole drawer assembly out but the screws seem to internally strip if I attempt to take them out.

Any other access to this area of the hull? 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a bugger of a place to get things from. Been there. I would use a mirror on a stick with a work light down there and fashion a metal coat hanger to use as a fishing device. I did this to get parts I dropped in the same area. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try removing the AC return grill
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to fish my phone out of this exact same area on my 360 last summer. I finally used a long coat hanger. I attached a "ball" of that 3M red sticky tape used for sealing TYVEK on housing exteriors. It is the stickiest tape I could find. After about a half hour a managed to get the phone to stick to the hanger "fish line" and got it back. PITA.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry to giggle at your misfortune, but at least it was your phone... if you had a teenage daughter and that was her phone?  the discussion would be "how to patch a hull that has been smashed with a sledge"...  :D
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....or you'd just blow a hole in the hull yourself to stop the friggin' ringtone from going off every nano second. LOL
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    leave it and get a new phone. OR  drill out the screws to get the drawers out, then go fishing.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what the call them but any automotive store has a gadget that is a "claw" and you have a button the end to open it- it's flexible as well. Good for getting a bolt that has dropped in a weird place- but the are not real long.