Options

Gear lube reservoir level dropping fast, Bravo III, 2003

PamPam Member Posts: 73 ✭✭

Every thirty minutes at cruising speed I have to refill the gear lube reservoir, almost completely empty, but on idle the oil level is steady. Over the last few days I have refilled four times.

I had the outdrive pressure tested during the winter, no problems then. There are just a few stains of gear oil in the bilge and no leaks in the reservoir or the tube leading from it. I can´t detect any leak in the engine compartment at all.

I have heard that some lower units have had problems’ with, under load, leaking gaskets on the prop shafts. Also heard of cases were the lube ended up in the bellows causing them to leak water due to oil pressure building up in them.

So where does it go, where is the problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    First guess seal in out drive on prop shaft
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just had the same issue, however, if your blowing out that much that quick, it obviously losing it somewhere. Mine, so far, appeared to be the first seal on the prop shaft. I had a buddy do the work, the main carrier bearing comes out with a special tool, swap the seal and back together. The seal is quite a seal-not just an On ring. It has an inner stiffener that is steel, encased in rubber and then a larger stainless ring. Some how on mine, the rubber got messed up and that inner stiffener was just about completely rusted out-very odd. Anyway, it had been going on a while and then started draining down quick like yours but at that point, I could see it dripping  at the foot. I would strongly suggest you find out where as you don't want to blow out that outdrive for a less than 500.00 repair. If it is not that seal, I guess your next move is to pressure test again. It could, per my buddy, also going out thru the exhaust somehow....let us know where you land on this one will you? I think my issues are solved but would like to understand that beast better!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine leaked. Not that bad but about 1/4 quart per trip.  They couldnt find the problem on a pressure test but they went ahead and changed the prop seal. It worked. I have been adding very little lube this year.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prop seals are key culprits - the second place to look after the reservoir.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT what is the failure at the reservoir specifically?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark, it may depend somewhat on the model of boat and the year but my 2011 Rinker 226XL 350 mag Blll had gear lube leakage, which eventually proved to be a drive seal. One of the reservoirs on our 2013 Rinker EC 310 with twin 350 Mags and Bllls had a leakage on one of the reservoirs where the hose joins the reservoir. We were able to fix that simply by adjusting the hose. On our 2014 Rinker EC 360 there was a leak on the Starboard reservoir on the bottom of the reservoir where the float travels on a ss pin for the low gear lube alarm. It looked like the fitting was damaged. We could not fix it and the reservoir was replaced under warranty. When trouble shooting I always try to go simple to complex (which is probably wishful thinking $$$$$ wise)  so in  vanishing gear lube situations I always look first at the reservoir, any hose connections, on the engine and then on the bilge floor. After that, I cross my fingers and look at the drive hoping it is just a seal.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10-4 there Mr. T.......we always jump to the worst and sometimes, if we are lucky, it's something reasonably simple to fix.