Options

Swim platforms extremely slippery?

ShelbyShelby Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
One boat is a 1998 330. Other one is 2003 312. Both have very slick platforms. Has any else experienced this?  Any remedy?  Thanks Shelby.
2005 320  Twin 350 Mags MPI  Bravo III  Lake Cumberland, KY.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Yes I had the same issue. I have 2004 232 Captiva BR. My boat has a swim "extension platform" and an integrated swim platform, which is standard, if it wasn't ordered with the swim "extension platform". It was dangerous standing on both out on the water, so I put Seadek on both platforms, including the walk through.

This was one of the best investments I have made on my boat but it wasn't cheap. About $600 for both. Family and friends that boat with us are impressed with this being added for safety, and they comment that it "looks cool" too. I will add pictures on another post. Seadek is an awesome solution for this purpose. Check out other posts on this site about Seadek or go to Seadek.com.

Rob

• Options
    I like the look of Seadek but not sure it would adhere to either of these platforms as slick as they are. Both have been cleaned extensively with everything imaginable even acetone. It seems as though the platforms are secreting something oily. When first cleaned they are not slick but gradually get slick in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    snap on carpet....

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw a boat with what looked like the non-skid tape you see on steps, but as one large piece for the entire swim platform.  I'm trying to find out where that came from.  We were traveling at Middle Bass Island marina and the owner of that boat was not around to ask.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    If you find it, share.  I need some for my hardtop.
  • Options
    Good idea MarkB. I will try several different tapes.  Thanks. Shelby
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I think for now I will use a couple of rugs to keep people from falling and getting hurt.  I did look into SeaDek, it's expensive but I really like the look and have been assured it will adhere with no problems. It would make a great Christmas gift!!!! :)
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe they make a bamboo rug that looks amazing. It will also work better if it gets wet. Won't rot and stink as bad. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Shelby, you may want to try something like "barkeeper's friend" to clean the platform and see if that helps.  I have found things like sunscreen and sometimes wax or certain washes will make the platform slippery.  2 weeks ago, we were anchored out and it was evening and I had just taken a shower, in fresh clothes.  Really had maybe two drinks thru the afternoon, & my buddy just bought a 446 Regal.  I stepped across to his platform, which I warned others early that it was slippery.  I hit the water!!  I'm hoping it will clean off and not be as slippery cause there was nothing to even grab on to keep you from falling. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rails on the platform would have helped you Old man!
  • Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I don't let anyone use the spray sunscreen anymore.  I found that my guests would go on to the swim platform to spray themselves and it would settle on the platform and make it very slick.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a product from Captain Phab called Purple Power cleaner and a stiff bristle brush on a strong wooden pole to wash all of my non-skid surfaces. It removes build up of contaminants - everything. I brush at 90 degrees then 45 degrees. After a hosing-off my non-skid is just that. It is in no way slippery. As for spray sunscreen on my boat - not anywhere on it. That crap (and imo it's useless for uva/uvb protection) just gets on the rugs, seats everywhere - and it's dangerous to breathe-in the overspray.
  • Options
    I use the Purple Power in my bilge, works great!

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    I use the Purple Power in my bilge, works great!

When you use it do you have to scrub? Or can you just spray it on, let it sit then rinse it off?
    2008 330EC
  • Options

When the Admiral uses it in the cockpit to remove bug and spider cr*p off the seats canvas and gel coat she mixes it with water in a spray bottle as the P.P. is pretty concentrated in the bottle. When I do the non-skid I wet the area first, put a small amount from the bottle on the scrub brush then scrub it around. I let it sit for a few minutes then hose it off. It works great -bird and spider droppings and ground in bugs all come off as do the dirt marks from the techs boots - which they are SUPPOSED to cover with "booties" or remove - yeah right! LOL

• Options
    Aero, I usually scrub a little, rinse and vac it out.  Then I'll put just a little in the bilge afterwards.

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Michael T, I am with you about the booties.  I came to my boat after work and I about flipped when I saw my carpet.  Luckily it is old and needs a good cleaning or replacing.

Is there a certain wet vac you guys use that is spark or ignition proof?    
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options

I may be corrected shortly but when cleaning in the cabin or in the cockpit we use a small Shop Vac model that is 110v for bigger jobs and a small 12v dust buster for small jobs (mosquitos etc.).  We have a built-in central vac but I find it too much effort to use. If we have been away from the boat for a number of days I run the blower for 5 minutes and open-up the hatches before I plug-in any equipment. That's probably OCD. However, I also use that Shop Vac to remove water from the bilge. When doing that the Shop Vac stays on the cockpit floor - it NEVER goes below floor level into the engine bay/bilge area. I use two extension wands to add to the length of its oem hose. I also run the blower for 5 minutes before I vacuum the bilge water. I picked-up the small Shop Vac at Walmart. It fits under the front seat and works great.