Options

342 rinker with one engine starter battery for engines and one for the genny need help

SERENDIPITYSERENDIPITY Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
i went on a weekend trip for friends .my genny did not start.when i went back to my marina  a boating friend with some mechanical experience pointed out to me that the rear start battery starts both engines and is charged by shore power /engines.the starter battery in front is  the starter for the genny only and only gets charged when the genny is running and the battery charger is on.i dont use my genny often .now that i know should i keep   the connections the same  .he suggested i get a wire with a diode/fuse to connect both starters batteries on the positive post  .any advantage and/ or pitfalls in doing this tks 

Comments

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    My 05 342 has 2 starting batts. One for the stbd engine and the other for the port engine and genny.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    so i must have the same set up .ill review with my marine  mechanic next spring .after another great season i stored the boat yesterday .it was 86 farenheit
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a similar set up to Dan.  2 starting batteries, 1 which is shared with the genny.  What's funny is that I have a separate battery switch for the genny connection.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭

so i must have the same set up .ill review with my marine  mechanic next spring .after another great season i stored the boat yesterday .it was 86 farenheit
    How sad :(

I have my haul out scheduled for October 19th.  Still a little bit of season left here.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Not taking it out till November I enjoy slow ride in canal in late October ,I have 4 battery's on my boat they have all been moved to rear starboard by previous owner in the process I think they must have hooked engines to one and genny to its own use it everyweek in the beginning of season the batt to genny was dead both motors started fine changed batt to genny but I pretty shure it's not hooked up to on board charger  when I start genny it has its own built in charging coil i run it for a few hours every weekend when we spend nite on the hook I love the genny did not have one on my last boat.

2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Stodge said:
    I have a similar set up to Dan.  2 starting batteries, 1 which is shared with the genny.  What's funny is that I have a separate battery switch for the genny connection.

I do too.....it's along the aft cabin wall. I'm pretty sure its there to isolate the genny without having to disconnect the engine battery,
  • Options
    QUOTE OBELLA VITA I think they must have hooked engines to one and genny to its own use it everyweek in the beginning of season the batt to genny was dead both motors started fine .I have the same problem  .i was advised by a boater  friend to shutoff genny/white switch off
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I figure I'll fix it next spring ,but if I'm not gonna use genny for more than a few weeks I will shut off white switch good to know.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Not sure why you would need to shut off genny switch. There should be absolutely no draw on the battery.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    The ECD genny will have a draw, it states in the manual as well.  If I'm going to have it put on shore for a bit, I'll turn the main switch to the middle (run/remote/off).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express