Options

Through Hull Exhaust Question Bypass??

partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited September 2019 in Rinker Sport Boat Forum

Hello, I am new to the forum and recently purchased a 232 Captiva. I tried using the forum search feature but could not find an answer to this exact question. My boat already has the side through hull exhaust, I love the sound but my wife not so much lol. When I purchased the boat I just assumed it had a bypass/switchable system exhaust system that would give me an option of quiet or loud. It appears I was wrong because I can not find a toggle or bypass button/switch anywhere. So my first question, am I correct and I do not have a bypass or am I just looking in the wrong place for the button? Since I already have the through hull exhaust is there a retrofit available that will allow me to install a switchable system? If so where should I look and what should I plan on paying for the parts? I have seen a couple of the Corsa system for around $1500 but it appears that has all the side pipes and flange bezels which I do not need because I already have those parts.  I have the 5.7L motor if that makes a difference. If there is not a retro fit option available are there any quiet muffler packs available? Thank you in advance.

Post edited by partlowr on

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never heard of Rinker doing a factory install of "straight" through hulls that are not switchable. So it might be an after market DIY job. You can easily tell by looking in your engine bay. If it is NOT switchable there will be exhaust pipes running directly from your engine's exhaust risers directly to the through hull ports. That will mean your normal Y pipes from the boat have been blocked-off by one of several different methods. If you have a switchable exhaust system, your exhaust pipes from the exhaust riser manifolds will run to a Y connection on each side. One "arm" will go down to the normal through the drive/propeller connection while the other "arm" will go out each side of the hull. The switch might not be obvious at first. There are several different types. Many early Mercury models used an air activated switch with a pump. The Corsa (Quick and Quiet) you mentioned used electric actuated solenoids. BTW these are high amp draws. If you leave them "on" without your engine running they'll kill the battery in about 30 minutes. If for some reason you do not have a switchable exhaust there are a number of aftermarket choices available. I had a Rinker 232 with a 502 with switchable exhaust and a 2011 Rinker 226XL with switchable exhaust. Both came from the Rinker factory oem with switchable exhaust systems. On my 2011 226XL Corsa made the switching unit and Rinker had another company make the pipes. Rinker would probably not have the parts for your application available but may be able to tell you who made them. If so you could see if they still had the template. You could also have a local fabricator make you some.

• Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    My toggle switch is located on the dash bottom left hand side.
  • Options
    partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭

Thanks for the input. I took a closer look yesterday and did not see a diverter(s). That being said if it was a DIY job they did a very good job with a couple of stainless elbows on each side, quality high pressure hose clamps high quality tubing. Everything is very clean. I looked on my dash again for a button and everything I see is labeled and nothing is labeled for anything exhaust related.

Looks like I might have a winter project on my hands to get it back to switchable.....

Can anyone post up a photo of their dash? Thanks again.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The switch was by the throttle control on the 232's that I have seen with thru hull exhausts. Post a picture of what you have and of your helm area. That will help out a ton.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    If equipped with "silent choice" it should have parts like this installed: