Options

CO detector draining battery

My hard-wired CO detector on my 260EC drains the battery when the boat is unused for a week or two.  I would like to move the connection to downstream of the battery selector so it is off when the batteries are off. It doesn't appear to have an on/off switch.  Can you tell me how to do this? Where is the detector actually connected, and where should I reconnect it?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you know this is the issue? It seems odd that such a small device is draing a big battery. 
  • Options
    BilltheThirdBilltheThird Member Posts: 7
    I know from prior experience. I just downsized from a 350EC, and it had the same problem. I first noticed the alarm beeping from low voltage when it came out of winter storage, and when I checked the DC voltage it was below 10v. The battery switches had been off and, other than the bilge pumps, the only item hard wired was the CO detector. I just disconnected it at the bulkhead and never reconnected it- problem solved, but that totally disabled the detector, which I really don't want to do. I just want to be able to turn it on when I need it. I just don't know where the detector is physically connected to the battery ahead of the battery switch. When I turn it off, I want everything OFF. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no way that CO detector is draining your battery. You have another device like the fridge that is draining your battery or there's a short somewhere. 

Is it marine code to even put an isolation switch on a CO detector?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things often that drain batteries: Clocks, stereo still on, GPS antenna, bilge pumps, frigs, marine radio...etc.  People forget the GPS antenna is typically always 'on' unless you have a switch to shut it off.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BilltheThirdBilltheThird Member Posts: 7
    I know it's weird that a 60mA load could cause a problem, but it did somehow on my last boat. As I said, when I disconnected it, the problem ended, hence no short or other item. I just got this boat, and I don't want a repeat episode. I'm leaving it on the trailer and don't have the shore power/ battery charger working. And no, I don't think you're supposed to disconnect it, but I am not worried about a fine or anything. I may just see how much it depletes the battery over a week or so, and maybe it won't be s problem this time. I appreciate the input. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    another item that owners with ecd generators should know is that if you leave your generator in the remote operation (which most of us do), it will use the battery as well.  & yes, I've also seen the co detector deplete the batteries after a couple weeks.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express