Dip Stick Tube?!!

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
I went to pump out my engine oil today but some how the oil pump tube got kinked and stuck in the tube. I decided to pull out the dipstick tube to help me get the hose out of the tube. This is what I found, it got beat up from me removing it but something's not right! The tube is two pieces stuck together. I always noticed that the dipstick would jam at one point then I would rotate it and it would go in. Now I know why it would do that! I ordered what I believe to be the correct tube and dipstick for a 5.7, VERY strange!

2008 330EC
Post edited by aero3113 on

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a bad DIY project.  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it does!
    2008 330EC
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen a marine dip stick tube look like that. Al has seen everything (marine that is) I'd be interested in his opinion. No wonder your dip stick was getting jammed!
    BTW, after Al's comment - I hope the diy'er who did that at least had the correct length of tube to give you accurate oil level readings!
    edited August 2015
    Al, the tube was from an electric oil pump I was using,It wasn't installed in the tube.
    Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC
    Alswagg said:
    Just remember to never put a suction tube inside the dipstick tube.  I have had to repair many dipstick for having a stuck plastick Hose inside the tip stick tube.  
    Yes, that's how I found out about my dipstick tube. Lesson learned!
    2008 330EC
    Al, when I pit the new dipstick tube in do I need to seal it at the base? If yes what sealant do you recommend?
    2008 330EC
    edited October 2015
    Now that the boat is out of the water, I Pulled my starboard manifold and riser to install the new dipstick tube. It turns out that I have the incorrect tube! The tube that I have seems to be to long on the top side. I can't install it all the way because it hits the alternator. I searched pictures on the Internet and it looks like there is a tube that comes just short of the alternator but I can't find a part number for it.The part number that I have is 15296A 2,does anyone know what part number I need and where to find it? This is for a 5.7, Hopefully Al will be able to help me out!
    2008 330EC

3113, have you tried contacting Mercury directly at the factory for technical advice?

I haven't tried Mercury yet. I'm going to try a local parts supplier and see if they can help. The issue is I don't have a good serial number. The engine is a rebuilt Jasper engine that the previous owner had built. I do have the serial number of the old engine that came out but don't know if that can help me. I think I narrowed it down to two part numbers, 860143A2 or 862704A4 but I don't know what the difference is.
    2008 330EC
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if its a Jasper rebuild it should still be a mercury block hopefully.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is the same as the original engine, you should be able to use the original numbers. When I replaced the engine on my 232, I got a Quicksilver long block and I used the original numbers to get parts.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    I finally have this project done! I used the old block serial number and ordered the dipstick tube. Once installed,I was able to pump out the engine oil in less than 2 minutes with an electric pump! (Was never able to do that!) With the riser and manifold back on I was able to finish winterizing also. She is good to go for a long winters nap.

2008 330EC
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job! Thanks for the follow up, we all need the info.
    When I installed the manifold and riser I torqued (25 ft. lbs. then to 30 ft.lbs.)the bolts a couple of times after cooling and heating. I went to check the port side. I found that 2 of the riser bolts were VERY loose and I got about a quarter to half a turn on the manifold bolts. They were installed new last season, It doesn't hurt to recheck them every once in a while.
    2008 330EC
    @aero3113. Great work.....and checking torque is always a good idea.