Options

Single or tandem Trailer- 1995 Captiva 212

Hello All:

Several years ago i purchased a 1995 Captiva 212 (5.7l Merc)- great boat.  The boat came with a single axle trailer.  I called Rinker and they suggest a tandem axle trailer but somehow this boat was originally sold with a single (trailer matches boat and says Captiva).  Based on the Trailmaster specs on the trailer- i'm 200lbs from the max.

I mostly trailer the boat no more than two miles to the lake.  I did take it on a multi-hour trip and was't easy.

I'm actively looking to replace my trailer.  

Several questions.   Any input on single versus tandem for this boat- verifying my concern.  Also, anyone please let me know if you or know of a tandem trailer for sale.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    For the amount of trailering you do I think the single is adequate and safe.  I've had a single for a 19 footer, a tandem for a 24 footer, and now a tri-axle for my 26 footer.  Just don't exceed the trailer's capacity and I would recommended trying to get one with disc brakes rather than drum.
  • Options
    mchlhowmchlhow Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the feedback and it works ok for what we use it for.  I would like to trailer the boat much further next year and over 10-hour drive based on a few potential trips.  Would love to purchase a used dual if anyone knows of one --available.    815-277-6025
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you? 

I have a 05 212 w/ single 7200# axle.. steel.. salt water has had it's way with it, no.matter how much care I give it.. I'm looking to finish this season. 

A local makes em.. aluminum tandem with torsion bars and led's... $3500... Tandem means smaller wheels, torsion means closer to ground for easier launches on shallow ramps.. I'm all over it.. let me know if you want digits... 
  • Options
    bwgoodwinbwgoodwin Member Posts: 11
    i had a caravelle size, same engine and 21ft.  it had a tandem and towed great.  i feel the tandems tow much better than the singles
    276 BR VP 6.0 380HP Duoprop
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Tandem for sure. Same boat and engine. Tows great plus the added safety in case of a blowout keeping control of the trailer.
  • Options
    floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    2005 single axle, tows fine backs up great but would rather have a tandem. it's been to lake Kentucky up to Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and Missouri.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a tandem the trailer axles take a lot more of  the load not the rear of the tow vehicle. Also less trailer sway. Plus in a bad situation if one tire blows you can get off a freeway.