Options

Docking In Wind - Had My Bluff Called

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
We just arrived home from 6 days of visiting nearby marinas. At one point, after we had been docked for a day the weather changed. The winds picked-up quite a bit - say from 5 knots to 15 knots. This marina has about 500 slips so there is always quite a lot of action and plenty for the guys, already tied-up, to comment on. There was a lot of dock banging and boat banging going on as captains tried to slip their boats, most by backing stern-in. There were some really brutal collisions resulting in damage to the boat entering the slip and on 2 or 3 occasions (that I saw) damage to the slip mate's boat. One sail boat hit the stern of another boat as the wind pushed him into it. We could hear him yelling out "There's nothing I can do. I'm hard over and under full throttle. I have insurance and will call it into the marina." The motor on the dinghy trailing his sailboat caught the ropes of a dinghy behind the boat he hit and ripped out all of the ropes on one side. the dingy deflated on one side and it's 35 HP motor took it to the bottom. The sailboat it was attached to listed and dumped two teak chairs onto the side of a new Four Winns 375 Vista Cruiser, then moved to starboard crushing the chairs between the two boats. You could see the fiber glass chips coming off the 375 and its captain with both hands on his head. This lead to a lot of dock talk like "What an idiot - I could do better and what was that guy thinking?" I wasn't as harsh as many of the guys but I did have my 2 cents in the conversation. We left the next day. The wind had picked-up to where it was 25 knots with gusts. It was coming to my starboard at about 45 degrees. I left my slip using Axius set on "docking" mode. This setting limits the thrust of the engines. I do this if possible to avoid creating unnecessary waves around other boats or revving up the engines - which looks like show-off behaviour. That was my first mistake. When exiting the slip I chose to motor down the center of the fairway, my second mistake. As I cleared a water front hotel I got the full force of the 25 knot+ wind which I had not accounted properly for, my fourth mistake. I quickly found myself in trouble. I was in low thrust mode. The wind moved our 360 five feet to port in a boat length. I was now about 5 feet away from a line of cruisers and trawlers with all of their anchors facing me and closing fast. I switched off "docking mode" to full thrust and engaged. this took about 5 seconds. I fired-up full sideways thrust. I now had a 9 ton boat, probably nearly 10 tons with full fuel and gear, in motion to port. The 8.2s were screaming and were trying to dig-in but had to slow the boat's momentum before moving it to starboard. The Admiral, always calm, said "Michael, we are less than a foot from impact". There was nothing I could do at this point but hope the raw power of the 8.2s would save me. Any attempt to "steer my way out" would have put my stern right onto the line of anchors. I was looking right into the horrified eyes of the other captains in their boats' fly bridges as they anticipated the immediate impact of a 10 ton boat hitting them right on their bows. Finally, the side thrust of the Axius caught and we moved sideways and forward. As we cleared the marina breakwater I asked the Admiral how close I had gotten to the other boats. She said the anchor of a big trawler had passed within 3 inches of her face - while she was on the stern guiding me. I broke my own rules of not assessing the severity of a situation - even after watching many captains get into trouble the day before, of getting behind in a situation and of overestimating my skill. If I had, had to use throttles in the position I put myself in I would have hit at least one boat as I would have had to go hard to starboard to escape hitting a line of boats. and would have had to sacrifice my port stern to at least one collision. I was very lucky that I did not harm the Admiral or the boat. About the only thing that I did right was to remain calm and focused as I looked at my cra**y options. As part of my reflection on this series of stupid decisions I have vowed I will also refrain from ever again commenting on another captain's boat handling skills. I have now been boating for over 55 years and have never come this close to a collision. All that experience is useless in about 30 seconds if one is not careful. I got real lucky. lesson learned. BTW you should have seen me the last few days of the trip. Mr. Cautious LOL.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasnt the admiral ready with a push pole if needed?
  • Options
    The Admiral is pretty buff and always ready with a boat hook - that we only need in the locks - but 10 tons in a 25 knot wind would have been futile. Plus it all happened so fast it was scary! When do you land in Cape Coral?
  • Options
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Having a floating dinghy tied up hard against the swim platform while my boat is in the slip makes a good fender I've found. 20 knot afternoon winds present docking challenges even for the most experienced skipper. Stalled engines in the middle of critical maneuvers often exacerbate the docking problems I've observed.

Andy
  • Options

So true Andy! Good for you Steve, that is a beautiful area. I was there many years ago when my parents lived in Ft. Lauderdale.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Push pole, really Handy?  I've witnessed one go right thru the side of someone's hull that was trying to keep off of a boat.  Sorry to state this, but I also will not have anyone on my bow once moving thru the marina.  Immediately upon leaving a slip, they are back.  They will break their arms or worse if they would try anything, so back they go so there is no chance.  MT, glad you made it thru and yes, it's tough to keep quiet sometimes about other's abilities at boating.  Where I really have a tough time is when someone puts a line on a piling and tries to pull a boat (not using their cleats for leverage).  FYI, I was just talking to someone last week about not using the docking mode (which I have with my DTS) because you never know when you need power.  Definitely something I'm glad you brought up and something we all need to remember. These extra gadgets can sometimes do us more harm than good if we don't remember how to get a boat out of trouble the good ole fashion way.  (I hope I don't come off as preaching, cause I certainly don't know it all and learn every time on this site).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Yeah, a fender is the only tool that might help, and only if there's enough time to get one out.  The next time I find myself in that situation, I will try to remember this discussion, and break out the fenders before getting underway.

As an aside, last year I bought a couple huge 27-inch "round fenders" (ball-shaped instead of cylindrical) that are amazing.  (Please, no jokes about the size of my "equipment" ... I've heard them all!)  In rough conditions, round fenders are the way to go, and the bigger the better.  I usually store mine deflated, and I have a Ryobi inflator that will fill that huge fender in under a minute.  
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I had five fenders out per side covered with West marine premium polyester covers, but it still looked like it was going to be a brutal collision - by having several big boats strike me broadside with their anchors striking our boat at the aft canvass and down along the side windows area. La Rea, you are right - The big round or tear drop balls may have worked, We always have fenders deployed, mooring ropes and mooring poles at the ready - before we even enter a marina's fairway. This time I was caught off guard and just plain lucky......Hey DI advice from you is never preaching - its advice based on lots of experience.. and a **** good thing for all of us to review! ;-)
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The firs time we took our previous Rinker out to another marina I needed up having to dock in high winds.  We had owned her for about a month at that point and were headed into a mostly empty state marina.  I got pushed into the end of one of the docks which removed some gelcoat.  Been fortunate enough not to come close since.  The wind is not a power-boater's friend.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Its even worse with the camper top up or having a fly bridge. Its amazing how a breeze can move such a large and heavy vessel. 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my lil' boat is more like a dinghy than your big rigs... but I got myself into an embarrassing situation earlier this year...

the boat is on rails at less than wake speed with the smart tabs and the five blade ron hill prop... i can maneuver that thing around exceedingly easily, even when other boats are having issues.  even for me with these advantages, though, there is a channel I frequent that often has opposing winds and current... it is tricky... it's even trickier when I have a zero value (straight at me or behind me) current, and a full value (3-9 or 9-3 o'clock) wind... the problem is getting out of straight, and then the current and the wind have a total different command/influence over the boat than it did less than a second before...

that's a tricky area....   

I was trying to stow a folding beach chair after leaving the launch, which is something I do almost exclusively while warming up, if not before even leaving the house, but there were people waiting and the launch area was big time congested that morning... the channel is only about ten feet wide through this little pass, with shallows of oyster beds on one side and sand bar on the other- low tide the channel is two and a half feet deep with the 'banks' less than a foot... I let loose the wheel, just for a second, to reach forward into the ski locker (where the chair was) to close it better.... in that split second, the wind and current took over control, and I scraped a metal sign warning clammers of the dangers of shell fish, on the starboard side, about mid-ship.  There were three other boats behind me that saw it.... I just buried my face in my palm and shook my head while they laughed at me... and rightfully so..  lesson learned... life comes at you fast. 
  • Options
    I tried to pull up to the gas docks one day in a wind and tried 3 times. Finally I gave up and went back to the slip  LOL
  • Options
    Handy, you are right about wind with the canvas all up.  It makes a HUGE difference.  I did a little test last week on my boat trip.  I pulled out with all the canvas up, monitored RPMs and speed.  What I noticed with canvas down was almost 100RPM difference at 32mph.  This was read digitally on my VV.  I was a bit amazed at the difference.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, stories like this make me want to put her up for sale as I'm scared to death about hitting another boat due to my lack of experience. Not going to so if I hit you, sorry! I've been pretty lucky so far with my 270. I have always told myself if I the circumstance is so uncomfortable that I can't handle the boat, I will anchor it if need be or put it in a transient slip/dock until I feel comfortable to try to put it in a slip. I'm not sure I understood one comment made above about using that pole at the front in between the slips- I find myself using that pole as a pivot point sometimes in the high winds-if I can get the boat against it I so far have been able to use that to get the boat straight and into a slip without hitting anything else and then throw my lines to the admiral I have already deposited on shore or someone at the dock gives me a hand but that sounds like a social fupa? I don't slip a lot, had the boat around 1 1/2 years now and only had to slip on 4 different trips. And while we are discussing the marina, doesn't anyone ever just hand out on their boats? Everytime we go to a marina, you'd think we were the only ones there...we are up late, having some cocktails and wonder just where the heck everyone is at.....very strange, maybe it's a Florida thing...
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    212, your ramp story reminds me of a painful lesson I learned about towing a trailer.  
    While towing a newly-purchased classic Buick, I jack-knifed the trailer because I took a turn too fast.  Why too fast?  Because I was trying not to inconvenience the driver behind me.  Instead, I inconvenienced them AND wrinkled up my truck and car.  

That was the day I learned that my safety is more important somebody else's convenience.  Sounds like you've learned that lesson too! 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I went out with my dad this weekend. No wind at all, it was a beautiful day. I always go over the return docking procedure BEFORE I leave the slip. It's easy to tell everyone what they need to do while we're on the dock with no pressure. 

As we came back in, with still no wind, I just went over the procedure again verbally with my dad and he remembered everything.

I told him if i come in on an angle tie me to a cleat and I will push forward to get the boat against the dock. And then I said but don't stress we won't have to do that as there's no wind. I have a single engine and back in so I need to worry about these things but on this day docking would be a breeze.  Not.

As I backed in i think a current prevented me from swinging my bow straight so I went in diagonally. With me now fast approaching my neighbor's boat I asked my dad to hop off onto the dock and tie onto a cleat.  A lady walks up and offers to take my dad's rope. Here the two of them are being polite to one another saying "oh that's not necesary" and "are you sure" while I'm getting deeper into trouble. Realizing I was inches from the other boat I screamed "cleat, cleat, cleat!" My dad "woke up" and wrapped the rope around the cleat while I pushed forward narrowly escaping a collison. OK it would have been a nudge at the speed I was doing, and no damage would have been done, but still I don't like making contact whatsoever.

There's 3 morals to the story. The first is you can never be too prepared so go over procedures whenever you can. The second is you never know when a problem will present itself so be prepared no matter what even in what is viewed to be perfect conditions. The third is make sure there's only one captain and make sure everyone knows that (that's where I failed). It was easy until my dad decided to hesitate based on the offer from another person. As nice as she was trying to be, those few seconds was the difference between smooth docking and a sweat bath.
    Post edited by MarkB on

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a funny story Mark, I hope others will share some stories, I don't know that I have one to share but it sounds like, sooner or later, I will....

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I would be very interested to hear others docking procedures and what they do or tell their passengers.  I sometimes have someone on the bow but after reading this I dont think I will do that anymore.  Often(wind or my mistake) when I am backing in my bow swings port side so I have the admiral up there using a pole to push me off. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    06-270, my Admiral is often on the bow (standing) when we dock to hand the bow line to dock personnel/dock friends. I would like her to wear a life jacket, while doing this,  but she won't. That said I don't let anyone - especially children - SIT at the bow while underway. If the boat is docked or at anchor I will let people sit on the bow but not unattended children....that said no Leonardo de Crapprio Titanic moments while underway on my boat.
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Good advice Michael.  It's usually just two of us so I do my best to put her in our large slip while admiral tries to keep boat close to dock.  Anyone use a stopping strap to dock?

http://captnmike.com/2011/02/10/tips-on-tying-your-boat-to-the-dock/

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    MT, that must be frustrating, admiral unprotected working the bow deck.  When we were on our 2010 loop and transiting one of the Okeechobee canal locks we got a big thumbs up from the lock master for Pat in her inflatable life vest while working the lines on the fore deck..   
  • Options
    Tony, I'm 100% with you. I keep showing the Admiral the latest versions of the low profile self-inflating models. I should just buy her one and say it's not returnable! :-)
  • Options
    Buy one and emboss some big designer's name in it like "Gucci" or "Armani" on it - make it a fashion statement.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @MarkB - I like your style brother - great idea!
  • Options
    or personalize it, put the boats name on it, "Admiral" underneath and maybe for fun under that a saying like "Speak to me first."

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Good stories guys!  I appreciate you sharing.  As much as I feel like I'm "good" at most everything, I can recognize that I have a lot to learn in boating.  I am blessed to have a reasonable sized cove on a lake to hone my landing skills.  Sadly, I can tell this is the best case, and hitting a tidal river will be a different situation!  I am learning from your stories!
  • Options
    The jacket thing.  I had tried for years to get the admiral into the idea of wearing inflatable jackets.  Well, as my kids were getting older, they didn't want to wear theirs anymore and said we didn't wear any.  Hard to counter that reasoning (& yes, we continued making them wear their's). Now, most of you know my story & our little incident with the vapors.  That kind of opened up the subject and I went and bought the 4 of us nice comfy inflatables.  Lately, my kids run the lines, and the admiral is doing more of the driving.  It's been kind of nice!