Man Killed at Lake Cumberland

HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
I don't know a lot of detail but from what I read, a 58-year old man and his wife were on a rental houseboat and attempting to tie up in a cove. A third person on the boat was driving. The husband and wife were on the shore trying to catch the boat. The wife tried to use her legs to catch it and sustained injuries to her ankles and feet. The husband rushed to her rescue and ended up between the boat and shore. He died of blunt force injury to the chest. When I was growing up, nothing brought the wrath of my dad faster than sticking your legs out to catch a boat. Please be safe out there and remember to never use your legs to try and slow down a boat.
"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its amazing how many people have no clue.
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Horrible story.

Docking in windy conditions - I tell everyone onboard..."no heros, don't try and stop the boat".
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    same thing here- my wife wants to help but I'm so afraid she will put herself in between the boat and something else....it's just reaction I can almost see myself doing something like that so I don't damage another boat......
  • JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Boats can be fixed lives can't be replaced 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I watched a guy at the beach ground his 28' cruiser. (After botching anchoring). Two guys pushing on the side of the boat and a third pushing on the swim platform with the boat in gear. Stupid. Would have ruined everyones day if he got blendered. 
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The things I have seen over the last few years at marinas has chilled my blood. People put the value of their boats ahead of personal safety and panic in stressful situations. It is hard to reconcile people being able to purchase huge high performance boats with little, if any, instruction or competence testing.
  • duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    we spend our time at lees's ford when we are on cumberland, this is sad to here