A few mods

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
I did a few mods to make the Admiral happy. She wanted a fan, and with the advice of @Michael T I got the Caframo Sirocco fan. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it is very quiet. I also added a 12V power point in my battery switch panel. It makes inflating rafts much easier. No more stretching the cord from the helm. I used the unused Accessory breaker, so it worked out well.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    12V inflators are handy, but if you really use rafts a lot, check this out:

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/458

Uses an 18V lithium cordless drill battery.  Inflates and deflates way faster than any 12V pump.
  • JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Nice work have to keep the admiral happy
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need a fan like that at the helm. It gets hot up there. Lol.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful installs Greg! Another talented guy on this forum! @mark B. I have a 12v fan I purchased for the helm. It has two speeds and two mounting applications. I use the suction cup one. It draws Very little power ( .3 amp low and .4 amp high) and makes a great breeze. I got it at West Marine. They had a test stand of their fans set-up. That's what got me to try the fan @Cableguy Greg installed. The PN for the 12v helm fan I bought at WM is: white 593392   Black 9387564 they sell for 54.99 I installed a white one in the head to "air the place out" with the porthole open and the fan on and a black one for the helm. No regrets - a versatile and very effective little fan.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did you power the one at the helm, via a 12V plug in, or hardwired to an ACC switch?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two 12v receptacles  that came oem with the 360. I plug the 12v fan into one of them. the one I mentioned gives a very strong breeze on  the high setting. As well, I can turn it around to take 'fog" off the windshield. BTW the 12v fan I mentioned can easily be adjusted up or down by loosening a knob.  I was going to drill a receptacle into the top of my helm and just use a short wire from the fan to the new receptacle. The only advice I got from my marina's tech was to make sure the 12v supply line I wired onto a helm post was not draped over a gps wire or too near my in-dash gps. I never did add that extra 12v line, maybe this winter?
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I love small projects like this! Makes me feel like I'm improving the boat and a good excuse for a couple of adult beverages when the job is done and it actually works!

Andy
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I need to install the USB power socket I bought and get another one for the cabin.  Someone (yes me) has been lazy.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:
    I need to install the USB power socket I bought and get another one for the cabin.  Someone (yes me) has been lazy.  

The one that I did in the cabin was easy. I just replaced one of the 12v sockets with the USB socket. Six screws and it was swapped.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:

The one that I did in the cabin was easy. I just replaced one of the 12v sockets with the USB socket. Six screws and it was swapped.
    I'm keeping both existing 12v sockets.  

Now where did my put my jar of motivation.....

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX