Options

lisp to the port side on a '99 232 cuddy

CurtCurt Member Posts: 5
Hi,
I have a 1999 232 cuddy, with the newer hull style for that year. Last year, it began to lisp to the port side. The weight distribution has not changed from the previous years. It has the same cargo, batteries, gas and no water in the water tank. Any thoughts as to what the cause might be. I had a thought as to water trapped between the inside of the hull and bilge. So here are my questions:
1) Is this possible? Can water get into this area from the cargo compartment underneath the port side seat?
2) If so, should I drill a hole into the side of the bilge through the stringer to the inside of the hull?
3) Is there any flotation material in this cavity?
Thank you very much for your assistance in this matter. I would like to have this corrected, before the boat goes into the water for the season. Randy Rinker was very helpful with questions when I originally purchased the boat in 2000.

Answers

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be drain holes in the stringers to the bilge.  SHOULD.  My 342 had several glassed over and had to be drilled out and re-fiberglassed to keep water out.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    That's what I was looking for. Did you drill new holes or did you locate where they were glassed over?
    Thanks 
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curt, Hope there are drain holes in the stringers like BD said, but that'd take a lot of weight to become a noticeable "list" (not "lisp") to port. Could there be anything else that's been added to the boat or could you pull any access panels/seat or trim to gain a view inside the hull on the port side to check for water/moisture?

I wouldn't drill any new holes through the stringers that'd allow water to compromise the wood unless it was an absolute last resort, and even then you'd want to thoroughly seal any exposed wood.

Let us know what you find. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Mike,
    All access points do not show any water, but I'm unable to view the cavity on the port side of the stringer. Fully understand and agree with not compromising the wood stringer with moisture/water. 
    Thanks
  • Options
    R. Rinker just confirmed that there is an open cavity to the outside of the stringer, that drains into the center, below the gas tank. He is very knowledgable and helpful. Need to verify that water is or isn't in that cavity. Two suggestions are to drive the boat (on trailer), stop and listen for water swishing. Or to raise / lower the bow to see if water drains into the bilge. If absolutely necessary, drill an upward 1/2" dia hole through the stringer to drain the water. Then as BD said, seal the hole. I'll let you know. 
    Thanks
  • Options
    By trying the 2 tests above, the cavity next to the stringer, appeared to contain water. I drilled a 1/4 hole through the stringer. The good news is it did not contain any water. The bad news is still: why is it listing? Sealed it with 3M's 5200 caulking. Will see if it lists once, I put it into the water. Thanks for all your suggestions.